HybridZ

50mm to 60mm got a question???

Guest 280Tom'z

Guest 280Tom'z

im going back to EFI for my turbo swap and i took my stock N42 intake and shaved all the casting lines and places where the EGR crap was bolted on but i want to go to a 60mm 0r 65mm or even 70mm because im going with standalone fuel managment i know that MSA makes a 60mm TB but the intake is still small same size as the 50mm so what im asking is what have you guys done about this or should i just cut the intake off right at the runners and weld a new box on i would like to keep it and mod it instead of the hackin to bits :confused:

i used a 55mm 300zx tb and tps, and bored out the manifold with a dremel, making it a true 55mm opening, people like to go 60mm, but i dont even think im using 55mm worth of air correctly yet....

that motorsport one will bolt on nicer i suppose, but not worth the money to me.

I'd do the 240SX swap wit a 1" spacer to retainthe stock linkage. Works great.

I would however ditch the N42 manifold, unless it has webbing between the runners. I had a problem with heat last summer where the fuelin the injectors was vaporizing at idle in traffic. It basically would start running like sh*t cry2.gif . Never had the problem with the turbo intake manifold I was running the year before. So, I'm swapping the turbo manifold back in (after having all the holes welded up and smoothed). While I'm in there, I'm upgrading the turbo to a T4B/T3 hybrid 2thumbs.gif

Pete

Guest De Schmaydee

....i'm planning on mounting my 70mm on the side of the intake manifold across (and in between) the 3rd and 4th runners....perhaps even putting in a inverted V partition inside the manifold to divert the air towards the runners....(if that makes sense)........s

Guest smoov280zx

Hey, is there any real difference between the manifolds with webbing between the runners? I've got a couple, one's a p71 i think, are any of the webbed better than other webbed ones?

i have a 65mm tb on mine and i like it.It came from a mercades tony got it for me and all i did was take it apart and clean it up and put it back together backwards so it would open from the opposite side so i could use the stock linkage.I had to make it bigger inside and from what i did i'd have to say that 70mm might be too big but i dunno for sure anyone have a 70 in the stock location?Hey steve you know the more i think of it the intake idea sounds like a good idea.I have pics at this link of my tb, www.zdriver.com/rides/showpic.php?name=scottyMizt_1022939309.jpg

www.zdriver.com/rides/showpic.php?name=scottyMizt_1022939105.jpg

there is a big diff between the 50 and 65 in the last pic you can see the diff.

• 1 month later...
Guest De Schmaydee

.....i'm wrong....(again)....i measured the wrong end...hehehe...its the 65mm merc....finally got "him" shined up and he dont look too bad....left him in a bucket of that carb (damned near acid) cleaner for about a week until he was ready to cooperate.....then rubbed him w/mama's aluminium polish ...came out pretty good.....i couldnt get the links to werk....

....i think i'll try the sidemount thing...mr bell still has an intake i sent him... i'll see if he wont port it and put a flange on the side instead of the 12 inj thang.......s

everyone says to run with a 76 non egr intake manifold. what is the advantage of running an N42 intake manifold vs. a turbo intake manifold?

I switched from my turbo intake to an N42 - ported out the end to match my Weber 60mm tb, and ported the runners to match the head. I also shaved out as many of the little bumps inside. I haven't noticed any heat soak problems people are attributing to the lack of webbing, and actually I doubt the lack of webbing has anything to do with it. I retained all the stock heat shields, both on the exhaust manifold and under the intake - I believe those shields are going to keep the heat away. All the webbing will do is delay a heat soak problem for a few minutes, if you are going to have it. The heat shields, by virtue of the small surface area in contact with the manifolds, will keep the heat away.

And I don't think thare are any performance differences in the manifolds, just the N42 looks a lot cleaner.

I'd have to dissagree about the webbing not having an effect on heat. It made a big difference on my car. Without the webbing, the plastic wire loom I'm using for the injector wiring melted :cry2: . With the webbed manifold, the wire loom didn't melt. So the injectors are seeing a lot more heat without the webbing. I have no problems when driving, just when idling in traffic for long periods of time on hot days. With the webbing, no problems, without it, problems.

I'm not sure if this matters, but the turbo intake appears to have a large plenum than the NA manifolds. I had the extra holes in my turbo manifold welded up, and smoothed.

I have a non EGR N42 manifold sand blasted, painted, and ported for a 240SX TB if someone wants it. I used it one season. Here is a pciture

new-manifold.jpg%20

Pete

Pete: Were you running the heat shield under the N42 manifold? I see in your picture of the manifold that it does have the heat sheild under it. But I'm running a sheild, and like Nathan, I've not had any heat related problems. Mind you, I made a shield out of Thermo-Tec heat barrier riveted to the bottom of an aluminum sheet. I also believe that the open runners allow air to circulate around them keeping them cooler. Plus, the open runner design make turbo removal all that much easier because I can remove the shield and drop a wrench down between the runners to get at that tricky top left turbo mounting bolt.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Yes, I was running the shield with both the turbo and N42 non-webbed manifolds. My injectors may be a little more sensitive to heat or something. I'm running Bosch 380cc/min low Z type.

I've already got the turbo manifold back in there, now I just need to the snow to melt in front of my garage :cry2:

Pete