HybridZ

400HP and stock 240Z gas tank ....... Whats the best/easiest

Racin_Jason

Sorry no dig cam. Tank venting is an issue discussed before. I don't have the evap. canister. How big of a hole in gas cap is necessary to keep vacuum from building in tank? Can't find the posts. I decided to peen all the vent tubes shut, except the one I'll use for return line, and epoxy ends. Maybe should have left the smallest one open and run a line down?? I used a one way check valve on my fuel regulator (mallory boost referenced) to keep a consistant pump pressure at 0- vacuum. I wonder if plumbing this into a vent line so air can be drawn into tank freely would work. Does the tank need to be vented for pressure relief?

John

Ive seen the elbow in the tank setup before, looks like its begging to get ripped off by some animal or somethin.

Just beware, if you are running low on fuel and bang a turn HARD you may starve your fuel pump. Keep your tank at least 1/3 full I would think.

This stuff applies more to fuel injection than carbs, but just wanted to point that out.

Evan

PS.. I used the FI tank from a 280z in my car if you were wondering.

• 5 years later...

Guys,

Regarding the flaring tools & fittings, there is only one concern regarding getting a good seal: Double flaring (like on brake lines, as was already mentioned) is usually for high pressure in steel lines at a 45 degre flare angle. Single flaring is used on stainless steel lines brake lines and aluminum or steel fuel lines with -AN fittings at a 37 degree flare angle. I'm not sure which angle those propare/natural gas fittings are, but make sure they are the same as your flaring tool to get a good seal. Also, they are designed/intended for lower pressure than brake lines, so I would never use them in that application, but they should be okay for EFI or carberated fuel lines.

Steve

Hey guys,

I'm sorry to be wasting time on old posts, but I've only been at this a few months, and I'm still learning to use the forum. As you can tell, I'm searching for every bit of information I can find to make sure I benefit from those of you who have done this before me. I have officially started the swap this month.

However, I've been working on my own cars, and specifically old Chevys for about 35 years (and old hemi's with my dad for several years befopre that), so I hope I've learned a thing or two that I can pass on before I can claim to be proficient on Z swaps.

That being said, I saw a post getting a lot of attention over the last several days (I hope it's a new one) on 240Z vs. 280Z rear suspension swaps. I have one of each, a '72 & '77 with original suspensions sitting in the garage, so if someone wanted specific measurements comparing struts, control arms, mounting points, etc. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Please be patient with me, and hopefully I can return the favor as I get farther into this hobby/addiction/disease/money pit we call old cars.

Thanks,

Steve