HybridZ

Black exhaust residue

Guest torynich

Nobody has replied yet, so I guess I will take a crack at it. 1)Yes, I would say your car is running rich. That explains the smell and the soot. 2) the white smoke: I would tend to think that it has something to do with the rings. possibly your engine is not broken in yet, or you managed to glaze the cylinder walls. Did you baby the engine after rebuild with short little runs that didn't really let the engine heat up or did you get some nice long full RPM runs in? I would do a compression check and I would also talk to the place that did the rebuild to see what they have to say. These are just some thoughts to get you started.

My 77 280 z exhaust puts out a lot of black carbon like residue. If I let it idle in the driveway it will leave a black trail right behind the exhaust. My friend put his hand about a foot away from the exhaust while I reved the engine for a second and his hand was covered in black soot.

Is my fuel mixture messed up. If so how do I adjust it. My car has MSA header without CO2 sensor.

Here in this state (Sout Carolina) there are no emmision control check to worry about.

Also when the car is cold it puts out some fine white smoke after a good stump on the gas. If I gass it really hard and then get off the gas quick you can see and smell smoke, not too heavy but enough to notice it. It smell gas heavy and then it gets all up in my car it just agravates the hell out of me. After it warms up it seems to be less smoky.

The engine was rebuilt by the local nissan dealeran it has close to 25K miles on it.

I have made some changes and it seems to be getting better. I checked compresion and it is at 173 across all six. Adjusted the throtle valve switch and it turned out it needed adjustment. Also I disconnected the cold start valve and ran the car until warm. The fuel smell is gone completely and no more black soot on my driveway . Stil have a hint of exhaust smell every now and then but I can live with that.

It seems like the cold start valve was always on and I have no idea why so I'll just run without it for now

Running good and hard now on stock engine w/header and Performance exhaust, 5spd ZX tranny W/centerforce II, new MSA springs, Tokiko struts and polyurethane bushings, rear disk brakes, new paint job, all new interior. Ready for some HP now, maybe a ZX-T engine or v-8 swap not decided yet.

Thanks for the help guys

i had the same problem w/ my 78 280z. My cold start valve also was open all the time.. strange isn't it? I still have not replaced mine. Also i rebuilt my head... i bent up all my intakes due to timing issues but upon inspection.. the exhaust were starting to warp on their own. could be the black liquidy stuff out the exhaust.