HybridZ

What could this be?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, heres the deal, my 79 280zx was running great until one day, when you first start the car, none of the lights or anything work the stereo nothing, until I rev it past 1500 rpms then it all turns on, and works pretty good, except for my stereo it turns off when my rpms drop then it will turn back on, this is driving me nuts. any suggestions are appriciated.

Brock

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Inproper voltage deliverd to the stereo? hmmm.... maby a burned out or shorted int. light or circut...

does the stereo work fine w/ the ignition in the on posistion? what about the acc. position?

Guest greimann

My gut feeling is that it has something to do with the relay that turns off accessories while cranking the motor. It is behind the glove box liner on the right side. I don't know exactly which one. When you turn the key to the START position, that relay turns off the accessories to provde more juice to the system. It may be hanging until you make enough voltage at 1500 to kick it back in. Combine that with a possible voltage regulator / alternator problem that is preventing full voltage until 1500.

Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong ;) .

• 3 weeks later...