HybridZ

running slicks, any tips or tricks?

Hi, I've got an 83 280zxt and I just purchased some used yokohama racing slicks. These are a true slick (not usable on the street). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips when running race slicks. I've never run slicks before but I've been racing at the track now for 2 years. I'm used to running street tires and I launch at about 35-3700rpm but how high should I launch with slicks? If you're wondering heres a break down of my car: bw 5spd, stock bottom end, with a rebuilt turbo (to factory specs) running 18psi through a starion intercooler, cold air intake, and 3inch mandrel bent downpipe and exhaust. I'm running 370cc injectors and an ACT street modified clutch. I'm currently running 13.3@106mph with a sixty foot in the 2.0 range. What kind of 60ft should I be able to pull with slicks. They don't have much of a sidewall but they're super soft. The specs on them are 23x10x15. Oh, and I've been thinking about getting a line lock so I can warm them up, any suggestions on which one, or does it really matter? How much air pressure should I start with, and then work my way down from that number, right? um...the slicks have been heat cycled...so how long of a burnout do they need to get them ready to go, or is that just something I need to experiment with and see what works? Sorry, for all the questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks,

James

From the numbers you listed (23 x 10 x 15) they sound like bias ply road racing slicks. Its my understanding from Trackside (the Yokohama racing tire distributor here in the US) that Yokohama has not made bias ply road racing slicks for at least 5 years.

Anyway, to make then work best you need to get the tire temps up to around 200 degrees. I'm not an expert on drag racing burnouts but I don't think you can get the tires hot enough just by spinning them. Sounds counter-intuitive but the smoke from a burnout carries heat away from the tire. Hopefully someone else who knows more about this will chime in.

Also, road racing slicks tend to harden after 6 to 10 heat cycles. Unfortunately with drag racing (assuming about 1/2 hour between runs) that will work out to maybe 10 runs down the track.

Aew those Yokos road racing or drag racing slicks?

You guessed it, road racing...Many of my friends have had excellent luck with road racing slicks and you can get them supper cheap from the guys that only use them for one race. Locally some of the IMCA slicks sell for $20 each and they have atleast 50% tread. I bought mine on the net for $40 each but they have over 80% "tread" left. I know its not quite the same as a drag slick, but once again the guys I've talked to at the track said they were getting identical times (plus or minus a few hundreths) when they ran the Road race slicks/versus thier drag race slicks. And for as cheap as they are, I figure why not give them a shot myself. anyways, Sorry I didn't mention that in my original post.

James

At that price you've got nothing to lose. Get 'em as hot as you can in the burnout box and then launch with about 10 to 15% wheel spin if you can figure that out by comparing the engine rpm with the speed you're moving.

There's also a tire traction treatment called Formula V that helps soften the tread a bit. It should work well for a drag racing tire.

actually, its a radial, not bias ply...wierd, eh? anyways, thanks for the info, cause like I said, I'm flyin by the seat of my pants. oh, and I know they're only a year old...the guy buys several new sets each year...then sells his old sets right before he buys the new ones.

A buddy of mine runs a set of asphalt slicks on his pickup. The things we found with them are:

A) they will not "wrinkle" like a set of drag slicks, so don’t run the air pressure low enough to make them. We did a couple burnouts and checked the temp of across the tires (an infrared temp gauge would be best, we used my hand). Hotter on the edges means you need more air, hotter in the middle means you need less.

B) they do not hold heat well. You will want to heat your tires VERY well and go straight to the line. No barking the tires or anything like that. If you know your opponent does that sort of thing, you probably want to let him finish his burnout before you start yours.

C) when they are free, they are great for burnout contests.

I've never heard of drag racing Yoko slicks, but I dont know thier line fully either. The only racing tire of thiers I know off the top of my head is an A032R and that does have some "tread" pattern to it, and they are road race/AutoX tires, 60 treadwear I believe.

I think I'm running the same Yoko slicks you are. Mine are metric but measure the same, 23/10/15 actually about 9.5" wide. Mine were really soft when I first ran them but they have got a little hard. I just used that Formula V on them, but won't run them till next weekend. It has softened them up alot. When they stiffen up I would have the Formula V ready. I would also set the rear, if you can to 0% camber. I tried running .5-1% neg in the rear and had traction problems going straight and this just road racing. You don't want camber for the drags if you can avoid it.