HybridZ

Which Junkyard seat is best?

PETEW

I have been going through the search function and it looks like the Acura Integra, Mazda Miata, and Toyota MR2 are all nice seats that will fit in the 280Z. My concern is that I am 6'4" and about 250lbs (no, it's not all fat) wearing a 50 long coat. :roll: I am concerned about which of these seats will hold me comfortably, if any of them, and hold me in when I go autocrossing or do a track day. :D I know a lot of you guys have these type of seats, so I am looking for some suggestions, especially from you bigger guys. :wink: . Thanks for all the help.

6'2" 238, I'm told my seats are about 89/90 Acura Integra seats (dont know for sure), they have too much cushion for my taste. If you dont mind reclining in your 240 they work ok, my hair touches the headliner a bit though. Frankly at above 6 foot I think a race seat is to be considered with a low profile cushion and low to the floor. I wonder about Miata seats?

Ultimately I'm looking at one of the Kirkey RR seats.

I am 6'3"+. I also weigh about 235. The Miata seats are a must for head room and leg room. The Miata seat has a lower bun height than the stock datsun. It seems to give meabout 1.5" in head room. Also, if your like me you could use some extra room between your knees and the wheel. The Miata seats are easy to install. If you do a search I have a thread with a step by step.

Here is another alternative to the expensive Corbeau, Momo, and Sparco seats but are they any good. :?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33701&item=2404823751&rd=1

I love the look of racing seats like these, but I don't anything about their quality. These seats look pretty much like the Corbeau A4, if you ask me, but are half the cost. They come with a warranty and sliders, and are reclinable. :P If anyone knows about these they might be another alternative. :wink:

There are Corbeau seats for $299+ though, and the Kirkey Road Race and RR Intermediate as well (good prices for what they are), thier cushion may not match and its a tad less asthetic, but it will grab you big time. I'm worried that if I get any bigger (sideways) that I'd need to make sure the seat is wide enough for me too, and with a Kirkey you can order what you need.

Hey Mudge,

I was looking at the Sparco for $299 but they don't recline and that is per seat. The DAD seats are $399 for the pair, plus they recline(which is something I want). :o They look like they could be really nice seats, as long as the quality is good. Maybe I'll be the Guinnee Pig for the group and get a pair. They are a little more than a set of nice Miata seats but I am worried that the Miata seats won't have enough lateral support for autocross or track days. :? Maybe I'm wrong. :?:

Here is a picture of the 1987 300Zx Turbo power seats in my '83 ZXT. Took a day to put them in and no cutting or drilling of rhe floor, I made adapter brackets out of aluminum to bridge the wider spaced holes in the 300 seats and then "bridge it" to the 280's stock holes location in the floor. Pretty simple just back breaking taking the seats in and out of the car all day!

8590619.jpg

The new Celica seats are fantastic I agree but I have not seen any of them show in the scrappers yet!

Regards - Yasin

I have an acura integra and I am 6'3" 210 lbs. I enjoy the seats alot, they hold you in nicly and I drive to SF (a 2 hour drive for me) just about every weekend and there is no pain. if you drive for very extended time (im talking 3+ hours) then it might get a bit uncomfortable but other than that I like them alot.

I just wanted to show you guys what I got(miata seats) for $80. They had a ton of different style seats there. A lot of Eagle talons, Mitsu Eclipses, 90's Celicas, even leather Infiniti seats. I am sure there are more, I just didn't get to look around, lots of snow and slop still around. If anyone needs seats I could try and help out. I go by this place often and could keep an eye out.

20882184.jpg

20882201.jpg

Well I had 280zx turbo seats in my 280Z for a few years, and a couple of years ago, I installed Fiero seats. You know the ones with the speakers in the head rest.

I had to modify the seat slightly to accept my stock rails, but they fit in the car pretty good, and are quite comfortable.

One draw back...I don't think they work well for someone very tall. My buddy is 6ft 1" and he doesn't have much head room..less than an inch I think.

At 5ft 8 and wearing a helmet, i have lots of room. I think I can free up a 1/2 inch or more when i remove my seat covers, and redo the covers that are on the seats (not stock seat covering..guy had them custom recovered with suede and sheepskin..yeeesshhh) :puke: So i have extra layers of seat cover/and animal fuzz..hehehe :ugg:

So

Hey Petew' date=' Which yard are you finding these seats, Allentown isn't that far (I'm up there on businss often enough) so it might be worth stopping in.

- Joe[/quote']

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I just haven't had time to get on the forum. The name of the junkyard is called B.A.R.S. they are in Walnutport. They are right on Rt 145 about 2 mi outside of walnutport heading towards Allentown. If you need better directions I can e-mail you thier address and phone #. :wink: