HybridZ

yet another rear disc question....

Guest zphreek

Guest zphreek

hey guys! i have recently become obsessed with getting rear discs on my 72 240z :roll: anyway i was planning on buy the brackets from modern motorsports and using the 240sx calipers...then i found out how expensive those stinking calpiers are!! so now here is what i want to know...is there an aftermarket caliper that will fit over a easily obtainable rotor that i can adapt to work? i can make the brackets pretty easily but i would need to know if there are any calipers that would work. especially since you can buy wilwood calipers for $80 and they probably be superior to the stock 240 sx ones..

Something that I have been wondering about.

I was in a junk yard one day and found a 75-76 Zcar with rear disks already on it. I am pretty sure that it was a factory set up. Now here is the question.

If the Z car came with rear disks at one point why cant we just go and find this set up and snatch it off the junk yard car and slap it on our cars? I guess what I am really asking is why doesn't anyone do this instead of going through all the trouble and expense to change the rear to the 240SX caliper set up?

I have not heard anyone on this board talk about using the Z car rear disks, just wondering.

I was just wondering. I offered the guy at the yard $100 bucks for the whole car but he wouldn't sell it. If it was converted it was done a lonnnnng time ago. the car had weeds growing through the floorboards and the body had rusted through in places.

It just didn't look like anyone had fooled with it that's all, if you know what I mean. It looked stock.

Guest Mr. Big Business

zphreek, the reason for the 240sx calipers instead of wilwood is because most of us want or need a working emergency brake. here in VA you have to have working e-brake to pass yearly inspection. Some people we using wilwood 'spot' calipers to give them a mechanical e-brake.

Henry

The only other "junkyard" rear disc swap is to use Maxima brackets or aftermarket or homemade equivalents and then use 280ZX rear calipers.

You think 240sx calipers are expensive? The 280ZX units are crazy. And forget buying junkyard calipers and rebuilding them. That's an exercise in futility. They have a strange cylinder witihin cylinder arrangement for the ebrake adjustment that is impossible to get working once it fails.

As someone who has done the 280ZX rear caliper swap, I strongly recommend the 240SX alternative.

If the piston is free to turn (screw in and out) without feeling like it's "locked" into place, then I'd so go for it. The biggest problem I had with these calipers was this piston (acutally, the part under the piston that has the self-adjusting screw going through it) would sieze on this part, and thus not get adjusted by using the emergency brake. Even after a throrough cleaning, then another with a scotchbrite pad to free it up, and then another to polish these internal pieces, I finally bought another caliper that worked correctly, and all was fine after that. Yes, I could get the bad caliper piston to free up and work correctly, but only after using channel locks to break the piston loose, and even then, it would only work a week or so before locking up again, thus losing any means of adjusting correctly. And with time, you then lose just about all of your rear brakes due to this problem. When it worked, it worked great.

I did take apart one caliper and the piston was not locked up or anything. But it just would not "auto" adjust the ebrake. Then I saw Terry posting on the subject (this was well over a year ago) and I gave up and just bought rebuilt calipers ($130 each!!!).

Plus, if you just have the calipers, that's only half the battle. You also need brackets. I made mine. If I had it to do over again, I would just get Ross's 240sx kit.