HybridZ

LT1 78 280Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am going to get an enlistment bonus when I join the air force. probably around 12k-13.5k. I have been into LT1 camaros for ever and did intend to buy one. I have always wanted a 280Z. I started seeing these hybrids and they blew me back. My friend had on for a week with an L98(350 TPI) it was SO fast. :shock: Anyway I think I might bet a Z and put in an LT-1 with a T-56 tranny. I have a few questions. Would you need a new rear end like a 10 or 12 bolt? How much would the whole prdject cost done porfesionally? I have heard anywhere from 6K to 10k with parts and labor. What would it run in the 1/4 with the lt1/ t56 with headers, cold air intake, 17" by 9.5" wheels with drag radials? I have heard these crazy stories where people are going 12s with a stock lt-1 in a 280!!! :shock:

Thanks a head of time :-D

First off, Welcome to the Board! You have found the place that can and will answer all of your questions. Every question you can imagine has been asked here and if you will use the search button you can find many of your answers. Spend an afternoon or evening searching and reading and you will be amazed at the wealth of knowlege.

To hit on a couple of your questions though. The stock 280Z rear end will hold the power of a stock LT1 just fine. They are not limited slip but the IRS launches pretty well in a straight line.

Your budget of $6-10K is a realistic one but also depends on the condition of the car you start with and if you let yourself slip into the "while I'm at it addiction" that we all seem to have.

A 12 second pass is possible with a stock LT1 but it may not be the norm. So many factors come into play like traction, track conditions and of course the driver. :shock:

Good luck and have fun with your swap.

Guest Russ240z

Welcome,

Last weekend I managed 13.2 at the Hybrid meet with my 78/LT1/4L60e. That's with 14" wheels and 185 tires, not to mention the broken rubber differential mount. High 12's should be easy on the stock motor.

:D Russ

Putting a 12 bolt rear end in your car defeats one of the purposes of using a Z. One of the best features of the Z is its independent rear suspension. When you break traction, you can still control the car.

Also, 12 second quarters are realistic with a 350 hp Z car. The cars are so light that the issue really becomes traction. A T-56 will run a slower quarter than a 700R-4 because of traction issues. The automatic hooks up better. You might look into a LT-1 with a 700R-4 attached.

Guest Anonymous

you guys are really helpful. thanks a lot. This looks like a fun forum. I did you the search button but wasnot getting any times or rear end help. Sorry to bother you guys but at least I got to introduce myself.

I am suprised that the rear end will hold up. Are you guys having drivablity problems with no posi? I know sometimes 10 bolts will not take a lightly modified LT1 so if you say the datsun rear will hold up then that is one less part to buy! It there somewhere you can get a custom driveshaft for the swap? Thanks :D

Guest Russ240z

Here's the details on the pass:

R/T: .555

60': 2.060

330: 5.601

1/8: 8.549

MPH: 83.34

1000: 11.088

1/4: 13.223

MPH: 106.08

It was cutting out on me at the top end. I think my fuel lines may be too small. The stock hard lines are still being used.

Regards,

Russ