HybridZ

280ZX turbo CV half-shaft rebuild hell

blueovalz

Well, I finally understand some of the horror stories I've heard of folks buying "rebuilt" halfshafts for the ZX turbo :eek2: . I finally ordered some, they arrived, and both were identical. I took them back (with the old cores for comparison) to the place where I purchased them and then find out that the left and right side use the same part number :shock: . After showing the sales person the old axles, they could no longer argue the point with me (that the left and right side are indeed different), and refunded my money :lol: . Upon further investigation I find that this is (so far) true in every instance in which I find the RARE circumstance that somebody actually offers this part for sale :cry: . SO, I finally found a company in Florida, that will replace my torn boots ($25/boot) or do a rebuild ($100/axle) if I send him my current half-shafts. I've been lucky so far and not found any JY CV jointed half-shafts that had any play in them, so I may get lucky and just need boots only. Anyway, just wanted to share this with anybody wanting to get their CV jointed conversion "renewed" :wink: . The place is called St. Augustine FWD. 1-800-544-0838. I've not sent my axles to him yet, so this story is still unfolding.

I bought a pair of inner and outer 83ZXT replacement boots that were as good or imho better than the oem ones that I took off them. I got them from VB for a great price. It comes with the boots, clamps, and grease.

I trashed the grease and went with Synth....

Trust me, you'll like the quality.. :2thumbs:

Forgive my ingnorance. VB???? Can you give me a site URL or a phone number and breifly describe any problems you had with replacing the boots? My joints appear to be in excellent shape. I just need some good boots. This appears to be a great way out of spending any more money than I have too. Thanks ahead.

Sorry.... their called Victoria British @ 1-800-255-0088 or

http://www.victoriabritish.com.

They were pretty easy once you use a hacksaw to cut a parting line around the boot that has the metal caseing on it. Then just tap the parting groove you cut with a chisel and the crimp will seperate allowing the caseing to slide off.

This may sound like a big deal, but once you look at what I'm describing, you'll see what I mean... :D

My local CV guy can do the rebuild and also get the shafts for you at a great pirce. All new boots, the right ones and the proper SS straps. Not difficult at all, most places just don't care to do things right! If the part is worn it will be replaced. I just build a custom set of shafts for a VLSD conversion for ZGad and he paid $200 for new shafts, boots, parts and the rebuild. Take note, this was a custom shaft setup so the price was a bit higher. I think the typical price is about $75/per.

American Axle & Cv

(850) 576-2297

Ask for Wayne and tell him James sent you.

when you take off the metal casing around the one boot does that allow the other end of the shaft to come out of that metal housing? :? the reason i ask is that i have one shaft with the boot torn on it and i was leary of taking off the metal casing but i couldn't figure any other way to get the shaft apart to put the new boots on. i also didn't want to screw up the shaft because they are hard to find up here for a decent price.