HybridZ

Help me Understand Something....

...My Pvc valve is bone dry and doesn't appear to be getting any oil to it... could this be contributing to the smoky motor syndrome? Which PCV should I use for a 383 stroker??? Also, should I remove the baffle that is covering the hole in the valve cover???

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Maybe you should try a crankcase evacuation system. I am probably going to put one on my car. If I turn it to close to 7k the crank case pressure causes the dipstick to pop out

which causes a really big mess and smoke screen!

Doesn't appear that the baffle totally covers it, but I'm using the Edelbrock tall covers... I know there has to be something there or the PCV will get to much oil. The PCV is plumbed from the back of the carb to a "T" which then runs to a cannister and the PCV valve. Is this correct?

Mike

------------------

mjk

I changed out to a PCV from a standard chevy truck 5.7 liters to see if that might affect a change. I'm gona drive the car this weekend and see how it does, although when I got gas in it yesterday it seemed to run more sluggish the longer it ran. I still think I have a fuel/ carb issue, but we'll see. Maybe the darned thing needs to be run. I'm also gonna swap in some Bosch Platinum plugs, as I hear they are harder to foul...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Fast Frog

Mikelly:

I'm running a 383 with a fuel injected sys. I don't run any smog stuff or even a pvc valve. I don't think I could get away with this in Calif. But here in Colo, they're not that picky. I have Edelbrock hds and Edelbrock valve covers which vent thru Edlebrock valve cover breathers directly to the atmosphere. I have very little blow by thru the breathers but I do attach, on each breather, a women's pony tail hair elastic that catches any dripping oil that might want to drip thru the breather filament.

I'm not sure that this helps you much. I run as high as 6200 rpm with my Paxton and have had no oil mess problems! FF

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited June 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited June 23, 2000).]

Fast frog, a PCV or scavangeing pump can actually help ring seal and power, since it creates a vacuum to help pull the rings down on the ring lands, reducing flutter, etc. Granted, a PCV won't do much at WOT since there isn't much vacuum to the PCV to pull vacuum into the case, but a scavenging pump doesn't have that problem.

Plus, a PCV robs no power, and it helps get the "bad" gases out of the crank case to help keep the oil clean.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited June 23, 2000).]

Guest Fast Frog

Thanks Pete;

I didn't know the fine points of the pvc. I guess since I'm not getting much oil thru the breathers, my rings are sealing pretty good without it.

Guest mattrp

Well, I dont know if this will be of any help to you at all, but I also had a very smoky motor. I fouled plugs left and right, and ate oil, and I did everythin I could think of. The heads were fresh, and the rings had no issues. The oil was quality castrol, I'd adjusted mixtures to prevent any possible washdown, and even changed plug temps, and an excel coil. Well when I took the motor apart to have it rebuilt, gues what had leaked. The lower portion of EVERY SINGLE intake manifold passage had leaked oil into the intakes. So every time I decelled especially, massive oil burn. I had forgotten to put the sealant goo on both sides of the intake manifold gaskets. Hehehe.

Just a thought, a last resort one, but easy to fix.

Matt

72 500Z