HybridZ

exhaust manifold studs

tickwon

I tried the search but didn't find the answer. :( Well, I got vague answers. I'm about to do this task and heard of studs breaking off. I have an exhaust manifold leak and was fail through inspection for it, so I have to do it. My questions: where can I get manifold studs if they happen to break, what size are they, and who makes them? I'm going from the top to take this manifold off, so the intake manifold is coming off as well. Thanks for the help in advance. :hail:

Chris

1981 280ZXT

Out here you can get them at Ace hardware. If you change the gasket, torque them to spec, then run it for a day, they will loosen a little and retorque. This is the only way I have kept from blowing out gaskets. I always check them after a few heat cycles.

If you get the replacement studs from a Nissan dealer (I got mine from Courtesy Nissan), the threaded part that goes into the head is considerably longer than what you will probably find at the hardware store.

If you have the manifold off, you might consider having it's gasket surface milled flat.

I would buy the Nissan studs. I had heard from someone that 300ZX studs would work and they were better? No guarantee. ARP makes stainless metric studs and I bought a set before I knew how much they cost... Ouch. $117 for 16 studs, and that leaves you one short!