HybridZ

Some Tough ?????? HERE (280Z aero Drag numbers sought)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need some unusaul information for my 77 280Z

Coefficient of Drag

Frontal Area (sq. ft.)

Overall Height

Overall Width

I did several searches and only found wheelbase and other basic stuff but these are tough?

I remember when this subject came up about a year and a half ago. Mike was thinking about entering his race where his hopes are to reach/exceed the 200mph.

The thread was Mike's and the subject matter was which fuel system & engine mgt control system would best fit his desire to go 200mph's.

Anyways; as usual, the thread ended up going into the aero of the Z.

It was pretty involved and if memory serves me correctly there were at least two maybe three pages to that thread.

The only problem is I dont remember if his thread was in the High-Tech, Miscellaneous, or the EFI/Carb Forum.

What are you planning on doing w/the info? Have you checked out, "Automotive Math Handbook" by Forbes Aird. His last chapter deals with the math needed to know the effects of aero resistance: regarding hp lost, drag, and lift. Pretty good stuff IMO. It is an Orange book about 6"x9" with red writing and published by MBI w/copywrite of 2000 if you decided to look for it at the book store.

I too remember that the Cg to the 1st gen.Z was around the .47 to .48 range. The 2nd Gen.Z was lowered to about .38 if memory serves me correctly.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

There is a guy doing open road stuff, he sent me some pix which I could put up or send. He didn't seem to do a tremendous amount of work either. So, like many old 60s/70s cars, they wont be aerodynamically super like some of todays cars, but they can go fast. It will just take more power, and maybe some more precautions aero wise to keep you on the ground.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Depends on what speeds you want to achieve....when you get to speeds between 150 and 200mph....aerodynamics is MUCH more important than horsepower.

Just looking at the 240 (and going on the info from that page) I can see some serious areas that could easily reduce the cd of the car.

I cant wait to get this car done and take it to maxton along with the bike....you really find out the meaning of aerodynamics at 200mph :)