HybridZ

I NEED this engine in my car...

utvolman99

I want this engine for my car instead of my truck. I know your all tired of hearing me sing the praises of the new HEMI engine but holy cow. Finally someone from the Dodge truck forum had one dynoed. Only problem is the speed limiter (105) wouldnt let him pull past 4,400RPM. The engine is suppose to make its peak hp at 5400 RPM. I have never seen a torque curve this flat! I would just love to know what is lurking above 44K. The truck pulls really strong all the way to redline so I dont think it drops through the floor or anything. Oh yeah and this was on a 4x4 the guys over there say you can figure an extra 10% through the transfer case?

16903hemiactualdyno.jpg

Yeah, AWD/4WD cars lose 10-15% through drivetrain loss, and automatics cost about 4-7% as well. That is actually pretty good, the LS1 guys were sometimes putting out 300HP to the wheels stock, and after Y2K they were doing even more than that. Those are the guys that I always wish I was one of, but damn the cars were so much more expensive, and expensive to mod, but 15º heads stock and they have so much damn potential its just nuts.

I could have had a 500 HP car that passed smog, completely NA, where to get that in my LT1 on stock ported heads, it would not pass CA smog, cam was too big. 370 RWHP is about the most I could look for, and yes my torque curve is pretty good I think, I made 325 RWTQ @ 2500 (dyno start) and a peak of 385 RWTQ.

Something that people need to keep in mind when comparing this engine to the LS1. The current HEMI is made to be a work engine for a truck. It is not tuned for a car as of yet. The HEMI heads out flow the LS1 heads by something like 15%. I think there is a lot of power just under the surface of this bad boy!

Interesting, the truck LS1s are also a bit different. The 6.0 LS1 (iron block) comes with a set of heads that have LS6 flow potential, but LS1 cars have enough flow without being touched to make 390 RWHP with a whimpy 224/224 cam. Something not possible at all even on an LT4 car, without head work.

A friend of mine has a Dodge truck, and wanted to make it sound more aggressive, unfortunately though if you want to keep your torque you dont go sticking a huge monster cam in the truck.

If you guys have heads that flow close to 290 on the intake side, stock, I would be shocked.

I dont need a gear swap. I actuall chose the higher of the two gears offered because I do a lot of hwy travel. From what I understand this truck has no trouble pulling anything close to what my 1/2 ton truck is rated for. The complaints have come from the 3/4 ton guys. My truck is more for daily driving than pulling!

Is the new hemi in any way related to the 60's muscle car hemi? I remember looking through a Motor repair manual back then, and the dimensions on thngs like crank and journal bearings for a true hemi dwarfed everything else out there. Everything was massive. What is the weight of one these engines? What would it do to the balance of a Z?

I would like to see that truck with a whipple charger on it' date=' I have a 2000 4x4 silverado with a whipple on it, it pulled a 14.00 @ 99mph before I put 9" of lift and 36x14.5 on it.

[/quote']

Well Kenne Bell is putting a system together for it.

The Hemi made more power than any naturally aspirated stock truck engine we ever dyno tested. And the mighty Hemi lived up to it's legacy by easily producing over 500HP with the Kenne Bell supercharger kit.

Maybe one day... I am curious to see how these Mercedies 5spd autos hold up to the hp.

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/hemi57/hemi57.htm