HybridZ

What clutch for a turboZ

Guest jt240z

Guest jt240z

I just ordered a SPEC stage 2 clutch from Nippon Power.com for a 2+2 flywheel. Cost was $319 for the complete kit. Now I just have to find a 2+2 flywheel to buy and resurface.

Does anyone have a good 2+2 Flywheel forsale? :wink:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just ordered the act 400ft/lb street clutch -hopefully it will work.i dont drag race-i run road courses.but i want the clutch to hold on the dyno.my trans is out for bearing work.i have ran an oem 240 mm daiken unit for years and have been happy with it except for over torqueing it on the dyno once(i got hot and slipped) and on a 5000rpm drop at sac raceway.but for the money the daiken unit was worth it-$120.i got it at one of those 1 day clutch shops.never use reman stuff from kragens-etc.daiken was oem supplier for nissan.

$120 is a bargain, although again you can repad a clutch for about that much with your prefered materials :) I will probably go that route then, since I wont be looking for a ton of HP to start out with, till I get used to the car and its new, larger balls.

If your making enough power to slip the clutch though, so far as I know thats pretty much a death sentence, if it continues to slip it will die quickly.

120.00 is pretty dang good, but i want to overclutch the car a little bit

i like the sound of the ACT 400lber, i may either go with one of those,

or SPEC, i have to see what either of them have for me in terms of the 225mm sizing, i really do want to drop the trans, wipe the flywheel, and bolt up the clutch and be done with it. after six full boost launches on the slicks, I know imma kill this clutch pretty quick.

if i see anything major on the flywheel ill pull it, but most likely, im not :roll: it was looking brand new last time i dropped trans, about three months ago. clutch was new back then too, but wont take the ups in boost im planning. clutch disk, to bearing, pressure plate, fork, and away we go.

man i hate tranny jobs.

when my daiken clutch slipped on the dyno it was running at 4500 rpm with about 12 psi boost.car was chained down.the dyno load was much more than what the car weighs-like towing a trailer up a steep hill on boost.this much more of a load then the car running on the road.

Guest ON3GO

i had a ACT 2400 clutch on my AWD DSM, it wasnt a 400+hp or lb car but it held up to alot of 4500rpm launches.

my friend has a SPEC stage 3 clutch in his 240sx with a SR20DET and its holding up just fine and he drag races it all the time.

both good companys.

mike

My stock replacement clutch worked so well, I had no requirement to learn anything much about beefy clutches. I looked at an LT4 unit as an upgrade, people were doing near 500 RWHP just fine with those, and drag racing.

So, if puck style clutches eat flywheels, I want none of that stuff!

i ordered the act 400ft/lb street clutch from that ptuning website tuesday(3-11) night.they sent me an email that they were out of stock.after figuring out they are on the east coast i sent them an email asking them to have it shipped direct from act.they did and i got the clutch kit on friday(3-14).guess what -its built off of an oem daiken core.the friction material has been changed by exedy.the spring in the pressure plate probably has been replaced.car will be running next friday.

Guest jt240z

Clutch is in. I just finished installing my new SPEC Stage II Kevlar clutch. I hope this holds up better then the Centerforce DF. The CF clutch was toast when I took it out. Chewed up the flywheel and pressure plate. It took me right at 3 hours to do the clutch R&R. It does get easier each time. :bonk: I just hope that this is the last time for a while. I ordered the clutch from Nippon Power for $319 plus shipping. Sure beats the $298 I paid for the CF that didn't last. I could have gone with the stage III clutch, but I think the 450ft/lbs rating on the stage II should hold me for a little while. :wink: I took the car for a quick ride today and you can't believe what a difference in feel. The new clutch engages smoothly with no grab and no chatter.

After about 400 miles of around town driving(per instructions that came with the clutch), I'll let you know how well it holds the torque. I have a lapping day on the 29th, so that should be a good test.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. :hail:

Well, my stock 77 tranny finally gave up the farm, so I installed another transmission and the ACT 510 lb-ft pressure plate and all I can say is WOW!! My leg is beat!! the only problem I can forsee is possibly going through slave cylinders 'cause this thing is a bear. I have absolutely no slippage and it engages smoothly. :2thumbs:

• 3 years later...
Well, my stock 77 tranny finally gave up the farm, so I installed another transmission and the ACT 510 lb-ft pressure plate and all I can say is WOW!! My leg is beat!! the only problem I can forsee is possibly going through slave cylinders 'cause this thing is a bear. I have absolutely no slippage and it engages smoothly. :2thumbs:

Hey Z-Gad, I know this has been a while but did your ACT clutch stand the test of time behind your L6? If I remember correctly your L6 made decent torque also. I have a sintered-iron 240mm clutch that NEVER slips but it's getting on my nerves the more I drive the car on the street. I need a clutch that holds around 450ftlbtq but is friendly on the street. Don't we all want the best of both worlds though..... I checked on a dual disk setup and the cost is 1500.00 with a new flywheel. :shock:

jgkurz, are you using the 6 puck or 4 puck? How is the ACT HD PP heaviness?

My clutch uses a custom full face sintered-iron sprung disk with an ACT 500lb-ft pressure plate. The pedal pressure is heavier than stock but not so much that it becomes annoying in traffic. I bought the setup from:

Clutch Specialties

645 S. State College Blvd

Unit #H

Fullerton, CA 92831

(714) 525-4272

It is the only clutch that has NEVER slips under any circumstance. The problem is the sintered-iron disk is too sticky. There is no middle ground. The clutch just won't slip, even when I want it to.

jgkurz,

I think I have almost the same clutch set up. It is the TimZ recipe but with an upgraded 240 mm ACT HD PP good for ~600lb-ft. CS was doing the PP upgrade for another customer, and offered me the same deal so I went for it (prolly overkill) too bad the ACT street disc is just shy of 450# which is realistically were I'll hopefully end up with.