HybridZ

1970 240Z Street Rod Build

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Already stripped and on jack stands her name is Betty. I am looking at a folorn sight! In the cleanup stage I see plain evidence of front end collission repairs and will have to check the frame (such as it is) alicgnment. This Post will continue until I finish the car and then some as I report all the fun I will have later.

This is going to take at least 2 years to complete (because of funds) but I already have the wheels and tires (MT 29x18.50 Wrinklke Wall) in order to set up the "pinch/tub" rearend coming first. 9" ford, Powerglide, Max'd out BBC etc.

My first question is: Where can I find more step by step data on the rear end install operation?

Guest Anonymous

your talking about building a full blown drag racing car, spending thousands of dollars and doing EXTENSIVE work to the rear end using ford 9" solid axel, these kinds of mods are left to those dedicated to hardcore drag racing, and most ppl I meet who are hardcore drag racers are pretty damn crafty, tubbing the rear end is no piece of cake, you will likely have to cut the entire rear unibody out and build a custom subframe, this alone is a 6 mo project requiring many many trials, you may find information about others ford 9" rear end swap outs by doing a search.. I know many are in the process of using C4 Corvette IRS, and this is a HARDCORE conversion, so check out some folks who have done that or are doing that you will see some pictures and know what im talking about (and yes, a rotissiree is more then for cooking chicken at KFC) LOL sorry.. that was for some of those here who have seen some of these huge efforts..

It all boils down to $$ and time and love.... lots of love. ;)

Scarab260Z

74 1/2 300HP 260Z

TH350 2600 stall with shift improver kit

3.90 R200 http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/flux0r420/lst?&.dir=/Project+350Z+racecar&.src=bc&.view=t&.begin=1&.order=&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/flux0r420/lst%3f%26.dir=/Project%2b350Z%2bracecar%26.src=bc%26.view=t

If SPIIRIT is going big block, then the Ford 9 inch should be a piece of cake.

Here is a link to a couple of maniacs you should be able to relate to:

http://www.fastassdatsun.com/

Engineer a complete subframe then tack the Z body on top. You could even go Mustang II front suspension. A street rod with a Z body.

There are guys on this site who have the Ford 9 inch and tub (do a search). But so far I have only seen one write up on a big block Z, and I don't know if that one ever got finished.

If you are just going drag racing your best bet is to go the 9"route with a rear subframe kit from Jeg's, S&W Racing, Ect.. For this you would have to cut out the rear floor and lower the car to ride hieght and start weling it up. If road racing is you goal then go the C4 route like Scottie, Fastassdatsun.com & Myself. This rear can handle alot of abuse and looks very trick. I am building my own frame and using the factory front corvette crossmember & rear suspension. This puts the engine about 4-6" farther back than the JTR kit for better handling. I am into road racing more than the drags. You have to decide what you want to do with your car and go for it. Check out my link at picture trail for progress on my suspension setup. We just got started but did a rugh mock up to check the fit of brakes, steering, ect.. Good Luck! Rick

Guest Anonymous

Exellent response Scarab 260! Ahem!..... Permit me to introduce myself. I have built a few street rods in the past and am fairly knowledgeable about all the in's and out's of the game. The thing is that I just hate it when a biker beats me out of the hole. I am strictly street and will do whatever it takes to prevent this from happening as much as possible, therefore, I have no choice but to do as the best do, and the best run the strip.

At the time we build we each have an adjenda, those with previous experience will jump ahead of the milk and bite the meat. I bite the meat and fear nothing!.....LOL. I plan, design, weld, fabricate, paint etc. no problem. The secret ingredient of time and the sureness that necessity is the mother of invention leads me to be fearless, but at the same time I want to pick your brain for "Tips & Tricks" so to perhaps add to my stregnth of wisdom in this area. So raise up a level or so and clue me in!

Guest Anonymous

JP.....Thank you for the URL, I am still working it. I was going SBC and was building all around that until I came upon a listing of SBC and BBC all together. The most cui. I could squeeze out of SBC was 468" with a Dart "Rocket" block (bored around .060 over their recommendation). As I perused the list my eye fell on the magic number 468" and I looked again and is was the smallest BBC. I said, what in the hell! And then I thought BBC, will it fit? (I searched). Now I thought, except for some extra work and practically the same expense I can "Shoot the works", get the biggist BBC I can. Of course I will move the engine back 6" or so, of course I will run the ignition up front, of course, of course, of course.....LOL.

As to the chassis: Of course I will beef it up, of course I will do the roll cage (probably not as radical as for the actual drag strip), my eyes and common sense plus what you have to offer will guide me there. But I am doing a hot rod and will only do what is absolutely necessary to get there my way which presently does not include a custom frame (tempting but too time consuming for me). A saturday nite toy, a sunday ride, a bike stomper, a "straight ahead" 1/4-1/2 mile breath taker is all I want

Guest Ziggy Vulcan

wow, you basicly want to do the same thing I do. Except with a Big Block. I think a small block would be enough in my case. I don't want to spend the gas to fill those chambers. :P

I didn't know that much was involved in tubbing. I assumed there would be some frame and suspension and well mods but a rotissirie? What would be involved in putting in a subframe like the fastassdatsun.com folks? My head is starting to hurt. :(

Guest Anonymous

Well, Ziggy.....

Gas for a grownup's toy car is like batteries for a childs toy only the grownup can afford it to have his fun. I figgure if I can spend thousands just to have the ride I want, I can sure pay a little each time I ride.

Ya, what kind of riding do you want the car to provide you with? That is the Primary and most important question for all who want to play this game. Once you see the target clearly and for sure, only then is it wise to begin any active expenditures

Knowing the car I wanted, I studied books and the Internet concerning the drive train and tires etc.. After 2 months I found a local car and I had it together as to what I was doing and where Iwas going. Only then did I begin ordering a few things necessary to start the project.

Rotissirre? That is for a complete restoration (a show car) in my book. Such persons will spend 5 years on a car to get it back to original condition! Such a car is never used on the street

Anywat, stay close and we can share..

Spirit, Thanks for th ecomments. Sound like you have alot of fun in the upcomming months. The site is http://www.picturetrail.com and in the white box on the left type in V8zracer260z. The site will do the rest. I'll be creating my own web site further into the project, but I'm still learning the software and heck that is time I could be spending on the car. Rick

Guest Anonymous

Racer, your pic's brought tears to my eyes! What an astounding array of work has been performed on that car!

OK.....So I am a piker and small potatoes. What else can I say?.....I am dumbfounded!