HybridZ

Turbo bolt-on for stock 76 L28?

cygnusx1

What do you fellas think about my idea of mildly boosting my stock 76 Z with a bolt on turbo kit? The engine runs strong but has 140K miles. The mains look good (been there for the rear seal), oil pressure is good, the compression checks out good, the driveline is good.

Details of the current car can be seen:

http://www.hvmparts.com/davestoyz.html

or in Grassroots Motorsports Mag, Internet Hotrod of the Month, Dec.2002

What I hope to acheive in this step is a 240-270HP version of the same car with a T3 turbocharger, 3 inch downpipe, 2.5 inch open exhaust to a turbo muffler, matched injectors, turbo fuel pump, turbo oil pump, turbo oil pan, intercooler, stock 76 harness and ECU. The car will probably not be raced or even driven that often. Its only a weekend warrior.

Comments, suggestions, resources, (flames?), appreciated. :?:

Your HP goals could be easily obtained with your motor. If you don't have a turbo yet I wouldn't go with a T3, it might get you to where you want but that's about all it will do. You will want more down the road and it will not have it. I would scrap the 76' EFI, there is nothing to retard timing under boost or enrich under boost. If you put in larger injectors it will be to rich off boost. You could ad an MSD BTM and run additional injectors or there are other options as stand alone. A 3" downpipe on a stock T3 only to run a 2.5" exhaust? I would run all 2.5". The turbo outlet is only about 2.5".

I was running a cartec kit on my car for 6 months untill I broke three pistons :D it didnt like being over boosted and under-fueled for that second. I was running a cartec rising rate FPR (4:1 ratio) with stock fuel pump, injectors and AFM. I have a feeling if you can keep an eye on the A/F mixture the pistons may stay together longer. An extra injector controller say from SDS EFI and one or two extra injectors may be able to help you out. I am suprised no one has jumped in and said how much better it is to just find a ZXT and do the swap. Good luck and happy boosting!!

~Kenny

The turbo bug has bitten me already! WRX Stage One is my daily driver. When I drive the Z it feels like it's missing a Turbo---because it is!

I am now shopping for a ZXT car because this seems like the most straightforward method of Turbo'ing an older Z. I suppose I can even perform the rear disc conversion by having an entire ZXT at my disposal. Suggestions of lean burning, aluminum for fuel, piston holes and extra injectors made me realize that ZXT is for me.

Great Forum.....

Dave Cerutti

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 1983 280ZX Turbo Automatic 2+2, 105K miles, $530, runs strong.

To put this motor into my 76Z 5speed:

1) Obtain a Turbo Flywheel

2) Obtain a Turbo Clutch

3) Trade the ZXT Automatic ECU for a ZXT 5-speed ECU.

5) Install the ZXT FI Harness/ECU in the '76.

6) Swap the fuel pumps.

7) Install ZXT Motor.

8.) Bolt and Connect.

9) Drive.

:-D

Am I wrong or missing anything? :oops: