HybridZ

Making a hybrid turbo

rags

Ok this post will show just how green I reallly am when it comes to turbo maps and specs. Some of you know that besides my Z cars I also have a Grand National. I have what was called a TA/49 turbo from the GN that is just sitting on a shelf in my garage and I want to know if I can marry the compressor side of the TA/49 with my stock turbine side of the original L28 turbo (t3?)? The TA/49 is only about 9 months old and it was removed for another upgrade to the GN. What do you think, can this be done? Is it a wise move? thanks.

Joe

Well unfortunately this will not work because the compressor backing plates are different and the TA/49's backing plate will not mount up the the center section of the T3. So close. OKay Clifton, are you using a .50 or .60 compressor? Do you have any compressor to manifold interferrence?

Joe

I have a T04B compressor, V trim. I don't remberber the A/R though. I didn't have any interference when it was a T3/4. I swapped it over to a full T4 and there's plenty of room. I can't believe they didn't line. That sucks. You could measure the wheel to make sure it is in fact an E trim, they all use the same backplate, and get a new back plate. If you have the parts I would do what you can to get it on there.

Don't forget you need to have that all rebalanced, or you will have a shortlived noisy turbo.

I would want a bigger turbine wheel then the stock one too. Way to many blades compared to modern designs. My t3 hiflow turbine wheel spooled very quickly and will support the horsepower a 60 trim compressor will make.

Good luck

Okay, it looks like it's going to take much longer for me to figure out what turbo to use so I'll just cut to the chase and ask those who know! Right now my engine is a 2.8 with a P90a with no hydraulic lifters. The bottom end has been balanced. I'm using a TEC II engine management, a Spearco intercooler with a core that will flow 600cfm. I have a custom fuel rail and am using 32lb O-ring injectors on a N42 manifold that has a 60mm throttlebody. I'm using one of Scottie's downpipes that connects to a 2-1/2" exhaust. Can someone tell me what turbo I should get?! I don't want an external wastegate and I am using a half inch spacer between the turbo and exhaust manifold for downpipe clearances. Thanks for the replies.

Joe

Don't forget you need to have that all rebalanced' date=' or you will have a shortlived noisy turbo.

[/quote']

That's untrue. I ran my T3/4 that I built for about 4 years then converted it to full T4 about 3 1/2 years ago. Never had it balanced. I've had atleast 4 other turbos apart and never had a problem with them.

Rags, your injectors are really going to limit you HP wise. If you want the E series get the 60 trim. If you want the B series the V and H flow about the same but have a little wider map, but aren't as efficient. All of those will work, but don't flow as much as a 60-1. I would spend a little more for that. Some day you may want big boost and HP. T4's aren't too big but you like the internal WG. I can't give any recomendations there.

After cruising around Turbonetics web site, I think I've found what I need. It looks like there are two different backplates, a carbon seal and a dynamic. Am I correct? Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Joe

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You can mate the two turbos but you are going to have to fully disassemble the turbo and swap back plate, wheel and cover. I would run the turbine wheel also because it should be a clipped T3 stage III most likely. A different seal kit may be required and machineing the exhaust housing will be required. In total honesty it should be done by a pro. If you would like to send the parts to me I can balance and assemble the unit for a deal. Give me a call...

Alex C

Costa Speed & Performance

305-888-3015

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

You can mate the two turbos but you are going to have to fully disassemble the turbo and swap back plate, wheel and cover. I would run the turbine wheel also because it should be a clipped T3 stage III most likely. A different seal kit may be required and machineing the exhaust housing will be required. In total honesty it should be done by a pro. If you would like to send the parts to me I can balance and assemble the unit for a deal. Give me a call...

Alex C

Costa Speed & Performance

305-888-3015