HybridZ

rear sway bar mounting ?

I have seen before some rear sway bars added to early cars with the bar passing behind the axle, anyone have pic's of just how it's mounted ? I have a rear bar from a 280z and a nismo 1 1/8 front bar, I want to use the 280 rear bar on the 240 to help ballance it out, just the fatty in front leaves it a bit one sided

These aftermarket rear bars such as you described are mounted on the "uprights" (the steel plate brackets that are about 4" wide X 1/8" plate that holds the transverse bracket that holds the rear-most inner bushings for the suspension. Holes need to be drilled in the uprights to hold the bar bushings, and then the bar points forward for the normal attachment to the control arms.

The bar kits for 70-72 240's come with new risers that have a kickout on the outside where the sway bar mounts. The 73 model 240s have the Nissan factory sway bar mounts, although the did not come with a rear bar (at least in the US) If you have a 73, the 78 bar will bolt right up.

I have a set of used 240 front and rear sway bars I'd being willing to trade for your 280 bars. The rear 240 bar bolts to the body as "blueovalz" describes. I believe the front bar is the same on 70 - 78 z-cars.

Regards,

My rear 240 bar bolts to the body just behind the seats. Two holes need to be drilled for the left and right mounting points. The bushings then secure to plates that are bolted to the body.

The 240 bars I have are 1 inch front and 7/8 rear. This is my visual estimation. I'd prefer to swap for a 1 1/8 front bar on my heavier 280z turbo.

Thanks.

thanks for the reply, I do not have time to do any shipping of parts, the car is a 71 the rear bar is from a 78, I just want to use what I have, and the fat front will difinitely help hold this car streight, I learned a long time ago, the fattest front bar on a z is needed if you want to autocross one of these cars