HybridZ

mickey thompson tires and stock z rim?

Guest loco280zx

Guest loco280zx

Hey guys I have a question pertaining to bigger tires on stock Zcar rims. I wanted to know what is the widest / biggest tire I can fit on my 1983 280zx stock rims. Right now I have P205/ 70-R14 Firestones. I wanted a wider, meateir tire for my stock rims so I can drag race and keep that stock sleeper look. I was looking into MickeyThompsons but I need to know exactly how wide I can go. Thanks anyone for any info. :D

What kind of a tire do you want to run? M/T makes only drag slicks don't they? I've got a set of 22x8 mounted on 15x6 factory turbo wheels. I'd never run them on the street though. For that I ran a set of 215/60/14 BFG drag radials - they grip the street better than just about anything without a burn-out.

Just wanted to add one more thing. I thought the drag radials I ran on the street really sucked for cornering - they didn't break loose, but the sidewalls were so flexible, the whole back end felt very unstable. I can't imagine what running a bias ply tire back there would be like. I'm not sure the M/T DOT street tires would be an improvement over the drag radials on the street...

Guest greimann

225 is the widest you can go on stock wheels on a ZX. The main constraint is the front tires rubbing the strut. The rear can handle more width, but a 6 inch wide rim still limits you to 225.

Also keep in mind that running bias ply tires and radial tires (ie radials on the front and bias on the rear), is dangerous. Can creat VERY unpredictable handling (this is coming from personal experience).

Tim

Guest loco280zx

Thanks, every one for the info now at least I can better select the size I want. I will try not to run a differnt set of tires up front as far as the plies go but I will get a thinner set of the same design. Thanks a million guys. :D