HybridZ

What Fuel Pump should I buy?

Hello,

I am almost done with the rear end R&R and while I'm back there I want to go ahead and get my fuel pump bought and mounted so I can go ahead and put my fuel tank back on the car.

What fuel pump do you guys reccomend I buy? I will be running a Chevy 350, mostly stock, with the original fuel lines on my 75.

I will not be racing the car on a track or strip. It will be driven on the street. I will probably go with an Edelbrock 1407 Carb not sure yet though. Let me know what to spend the benjammins on guys.

Going to bed now.

I've got the Carter also, and have been pleased with it. About a steady 6 - 6 1/2 psi, no regulator required, works great. You don't need any of the big pumps unless you're drag racing pretty serious.

John

they do make noise, but the carters arent as loud as the holley pumps.

i dont think you can get them at advance or autozone, but other local parts stores should be able to get them for you. i'm pretty sure napa could order it. jeg's or summit would probably have a better price, though.

Hey Ryan, got my pump from Jegs the other day and I have a question. Did you mount the pump bracket to the existing housing that hangs down in the back of the Z? Or did you just mount the Carter pump bracket somewhere near the tank and disguard the Datsun mount all together?

Do you have pics of the instalation?

i have a fuel cell for my car which is currently being installed. i havent mounted the fuel pump yet, but the plan for my car is to mount it to the front side of the box for the fuel cell, where the line going into the pump is at about the same height as it is coming out of the sump. i'll be

using the bracket that came with pump. i'll post pics in the next few weeks.

you should be able to mount to something near the tank with no problems, though.

I've ran the Holley Blue, Holley Red and Carter. The Holley Blue started shutting down after the first year or so, so I replaced it with a Red. The Carter I have now is actually as noisy as the Holley Blue in my opinion. The Holley Red was the quietest of the bunch for me. All of these pumps are well proven. Probably not much help huh?

Flash,

Get a pair of Mercedes radiator mounts. It's a pair of studs with a rubber insulator bonded between them. That will help a lot with removing vibrations from the pump. if you can't find them let me know. I have a set that I was going to use when I was planning a carby motor with a Holley Red. I don't need them anymore......

Tim

actually, tim, it's funny you mention that. i was just trying to figure out what to use for mine... i basically want exactly what you described, the pair of studs with a rubber isolator bonded between them. do you have any kind of part number or info on what kind of mercedes that came from?

Ryan,

Sorry I don't. I will have a look and see if I still have the original bag that they came in. Otherwise, go to the parts counter and explain what you need and that it's from a mercedes and maybe they can help?

I'll check around this evening.

Tim

Thanks, I was going to look at the original pump mount today, if I have time, to see if the rubber mount could somehow be used on the Carter.

I will probably mount the pump using the original metal plate that hangs down in the rear using the new mount that came with the pump also. Reason being is I think that mounting it behind this plate will also give some protection from objects flying up from the roadway.

I will go out and remove the old rubber mount from my old pump and see if it can be used in any way.

Also Ryan I noticed in the pics on your web site that you also purchased the painless wiring harness with your pump. Can I just use the original wires that are already there at the pump?

tim, if you have the packaging and can give me the part number, then that would be greatly appreciated. if not, i'll do like you said and talk to the guys at the counter. either way, thanks very much for your input!

flash, you can use the existing wiring with your car if the wiring is still good. all you need is a ground and an positive accessory line for the pump, same as the stock pump in your car. i'm adding to and redoing some of the wiring in my car... and i got the painless kit for a really good price :D:D

did you get an inline fuel filter to go before your pump?

Great news guys!

I just went out and took the rubber insulated mounting loop off my old pump and I think that it may be a perfect fit for the Carter!

I will have to work with it on my next couple of days off to be sure but all indications look good. Of course now I will want to buy a brand new Datsun mount :twisted:

On a side note, can anyone see the new pic at the bottem of the message? I uploaded it to this site and then used it but I am not sure if anyone else sees it.

I was wondering about that new little pic because when I check this site from my email I never see it, however, when I come to the site manually I see it everytime.

I will be off Monday and Tuesday so I will mess with the pump more on those days. I will be able to give you guys the full report on how and if the original bracket will work.

I will also be going to Advance and Auto Zone to see if I can round up some new vent lines for my fuel tank.