HybridZ

question about transmission tunnel bracket removal

i have a '73 getting the jtr treatment and am at the point of cutting the transmission tunnel brackets. in the jtr manual, it shows the brackets that need to be removed for a pre-'73 car, but the brackets are different on '73 and up cars. does anyone know which of the following is correct for the chevy installation with a 200-4r tranny??

option 1: just remove the brackets as denoted here by the white line:

fc646b65.jpg

option 2: remove the brackets and the support underneath as denoted by the white line here:

fc646b64.jpg

option 1 has already been done:

fc646ed7.jpg

i'm wondering if its necessary to remove the support underneath the brackets. the pre '73 cars didnt have this support and the jtr manual just mentions that there are slightly different brackets. i'm skeptical about removing the support if i dont have to, as i dont want to take away from any structural integrity that exists in the tunnel because of that support. at the same time, i dont want to find out later during installation of the motor and tranny that the support is in the way.

any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Without knowing more information, I'd say you did the correct thing. The good thing about leaving whats left attached to the tunnel is that this is something that can be welded to if you need to place brackets in there later on for something.

The 2004r should fit in the transmission tunnel the way that you have it. I test fit my motor 3 times before I had the transmission tunnel just right. I had a 77 280z before with a 2004r trans. I have a LT1/4L60e trans in a 72 and it fit without to much work.

Mike

Ryan I have been wondering the same thing. My 75 has the same type of tranny mount as does yours. I think that I read on this site once that you can leave the support area and everything will fit just fine.

By the way I like how you illustrated this question! It makes it crystal clear as to what you are talking about.

How did you cut off the mounts? I have tried an air chisel on mine and ruined it. It actually beat the poor chisel to death. And yes the mounts are still there...laughing at me :evil:

Be brave. Just get out the sawzall and cut out that whole shebangaroonie. I did air chisel and regretted it. I ended up having to patch up many holes where the chisel slipped and tore thru the metal. Ended up using an angle grinder - very tedious.

I have a 71. But I tell ya, it would have taken much less time if I had just cut out the entire section that had the trans mounts and welded back in new sheet. Would've looked better in the end too.

thanks for the advice everyone. mas280, it shows in your sig that your car is a '72, which is different from the '73 and later cars with respect to the tranny mounts. that was part of the problem, in that the jtr manual only shows a pic of what the pre-73 cars looked like in the tranny tunnel. after looking closely and taking some measurements on the tranny itself, i have decided i'm going to follow jeromio's advice and take out as much as i can. since the brake and fuel lines are in the way, i'll leave the part of the support behind them intact. i'd rather take out more than needed now, instead of finding out later that enough wasnt taken out.

fc61fd8e.jpg