HybridZ

Transmission leak, help please

72zcar

the th350 tranny in my 72 is leaking. I replaced the seal in the rear of the tranny first (the one the driveline goes in) ...still leaks.

So, i replace the pan gasket...still leaks :(

Now after looking closer... i realize that it is leaking around the shift rod the goes in the side of the tranny. and there is the 3 inch round cap thing on the drivers side of tranny...it it leaking a little there, but mosty at the shift rod

so, how do it fix it?

bad day yeterday... i had it on ramps.. (put it on the ramps with a floor jack) and when it rolled back the air dam hit the ramps and cracked the air dam and both headlight buckets, almost ripped the right bucket off... i almost cried...i just got it painted :(

There is an o-ring inside the case around the shifter shaft. you have to remove the shaft from the inside, then use a small pick to get the old o-ring out. put a small amount of vasiline on the new one before installation. this will help keep you from cutting the new seal when you reinstall the shaft.

The other cover is the servo cover. it should be held in by a snap ring in the case. there will be another o-ring there that needs replaced.

There are two different style trans yokes as well. One has an o-ring on the output shaft and a vent hole in the end of the yoke. Many times mysterious leaks can come from this yoke vent and be virtually un-trackable. If your shaft seal and governor cover prove to not be the source, you may want to check the yoke for the vent hole and if it is there, replace the yoke with an unvented one. http://www.motorbooks.com has a TH350 overhaul manual if you need more info.

There is an o-ring inside the case around the shifter shaft. you have to remove the shaft from the inside, then use a small pick to get the old o-ring out. put a small amount of vasiline on the new one before installation. this will help keep you from cutting the new seal when you reinstall the shaft.

thanks denny... is there a tool to remove the old seal? also i have been looking for the seal at summit, kragen, autozone.. all they seem to have is complete rebuild kits, where can i get these to seals i need?

check this out http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdsusp05.html

do I need this tool? it says i can remove the old and install the new seal without removing the pan.

I dont mind dropping the pan though..no big deal. I am mostly wondering if I need ant "special tools" to do this and where to get the shaft seal and servo seal?

yeah... but where do i get the seals? I went over to kragen and there is two "ladies" working and the did not even know what a shift shaft seal is... one was doing here nails and the other was gabbing on the phone. She said maybe I should try albertsons... crap

do i need the tool... or is it easier to do it from the inside. and if i do it from the inside do i need a special tool?

ok, i got the shift shaft seal on order.. still dont know for sure if i install it from the inside or outside, denny says inside... but i have read outside, so im not sure.

The other cover is the servo cover. it should be held in by a snap ring in the case. there will be another o-ring there that needs replaced.

And the "servo" seal I can not find at all. If I remove the snap ring and take the case off is it going to leak tranny fluid? How is the servo seal replaced?

ok, I now see that it is leaking from the governor. I know from reading this great board that there is an O-ring iside the governor case. Here is the thing... the clip that holds the governor case on is missing. Anyone have an extra one :D

1: if I remove the governor case am I going to get tranny fluid gushing out?

2:Should I drain the tranny pan first?

3:Can I seal it on with gasket sealer?

4: do you thing the reason its leaking is because the clip is missing?

Oh yeah. front end fixed pretty much good as new. :)