HybridZ

.060 Questions on 383 Rotating assembly

Ok I have a Chance to get a 383 rotating assembly for 500 bucks only slightly used. Internally balanced scat 9000 crank eagle 5140 rods arp bolts and trw forged flattop pistons. The only deal is the pistons are 60 over. Is that a bad idea to put that in my block. The only block I could find is going to need bored .030 anyway? Is that a good deal. There are supposedly 3000 miles on assembly and from the pics It looks new. Thanks for any help

Guest 73TPIZ

If the motor has an internally balanced scat crank, wouldn't it be the same balancer and flexplate as the 350? If so, you can use your stuff on a new scat internally bal crank that you can buy for 210 bucks on ebay. Still 500 for a running 383 is a really good deal. Ask if it has the longer rods (5.7 vs 5.565). Not a deal breaker but the longer rods would be better (don't tell my wife)haha.

6.0 rods are best but rare to find that.

Well it does have 5.7 rods but it is not internally balanced. Still a good deal. ITs gonna be 550 after shipping which for those heavy parts probably isnt that bad. Im thinking sell the pistons and balancer on ebay and get the ones I need.

Congratulations on a great deal. Pick the heads you want to use, then get some lightweight forged pistons to get the CR you want, then get it rebalanced. You'll have a better setup, thicker cylinder walls, and be bucks ahead.

John

That is not unheard of. Here is a list of questions you need asnwers to... Get the Scat9000 part number for THAT crank. I just bought one for my build up and so did Pete for his. There is an existing Scat9000 383 internal crank BUT it usually runs more than the external balance unit. The external unit will cost more to balance internally. I'd be skeptical IF he can't get that number. Reason I say this is MY shortblock only cost $300 to balance AND assemble and that was including Cam bearings, rod and main bearings. My stuff was ALL new and all forged using 6 inch rods (Which are VERY common) and forged Wiseico forged Pistons. Also, Personally I'd not get this setup due to the prices of parts you can get the individual parts for.

My Eagle 4130 Hbeam rods were less than $300 (Around $260) and the piston/ ring combo pack was less than $360. The crank can be had all day long for less than $225 and a flexplate is cheap. Reason I'd steer clear is you already know you will have to buy new pistons or you just wasted that block on a one time build. If you aren't putting this motor together and into your car next month, I'd sit back, wait, and shop my a$$ off on ebay and elsewhere. I'd also suggest looking for 6 inch rods. They give the best ratio per Grumpy's advice!

Mike :wink:

I paid Dave Williams $300 to balance my Rods, Pistons, Scat 9000 Crank as an assembly using my CAT SFI Flywheel and my Fluidamper. Dave Also Cleaned my block up, installed ne cam bearings, and then installed the CRANK, CAM, Timing Chain and degreed the cam, also installed new Rod and Piston Bearings in the assembly. $300 for EVERYTHING listed. I also gave him all the parts except the bearings, which he bought. This was obviously inexpensive and I'm not sure that he would or wouldn't do it again for the same amount of coin, but he did build Pete a complete 406 stroker shortblock for cheap as well...

The sum of my shortblock Including my Canton oil pan, and new oil pump and gaskets was Less than $1600 complete and that includes the flywheel, harmonic balancer (Both of which are SFI approved units) and all the parts mentioned as well as the TC Cover, Double roller TC, and Dave's charge to balance and assemble.

Mike :D