HybridZ

1040 cfm, YESYES!

John Scott

Not really looking for input as much as sharing my recent test. What works for my engine and components, at high altitude etc. probably won't fit into someones elses experience. Bagged the pretty Race Demon. Makes a nice paper weight for my car receipts. My buddy had his 377 apart so his old BG 1040 cfm was availible for a test run. Remember when Barry Grant use to modify Holleys? Pre Demon? He should have stuck to it, because this thing ROCKS!! Pulls smoothly from 2000 cruisng in 5th where The Demon just bucked. Power everywhere. All the recommendations I've had to stay on the conservative side of cfm. I've made the bigger isn't better mistake before, but not this combination. Mid sixties today and you'd swear the roads are covered with ice. Triple digits so fast its scarey. My poor poor tires :D

Now I've got to get those 1.6s on the Intake side, just in case...

John

I have that same carb. 4779S3. The stage III BG with profiled throttle shafts, removed choke horn, polished venturis, 4 corner idle, and 1040 cfm. Idles awesome, pulls cleanly just off idle. I couldn't agree with you more that they should have stuck with it. Everyone I know with a Demon tossed it in favor of an HP Holley. Davinci makes a wicked carb as does the Carb Shop.

CFM doesn't hurt you as long as you keep velocity up, and the stage III is awesome in that regards.

Also, the 950 hp series carb that produced the best figures in the april super chev...is a 750 body with an 850 plate. Holley decided to jump on the bandwagon of rating carburetors according to PONTENTIAL flow. The smaller body really helps the velocity. Other tuners like AED ect have similar models based on the 750 body as well for way cheaper than the hps, might be the way to go. So Mike, if you want to sell me yours..I'll throw in my Demon, some 4.3 valve covers, old Qjet, 68 442 emblems, and a pretty good used dog.

John

LOL! In '94 I paid $659 for it and though it excessive, but as time has gone on, it appears to be a better and better deal! Especially as the number of $ Demons seem to be stacking up...

It looks like the Profrom mainbody coupled with an old 650dp might make a pretty decent street carb for warm climates at a bargain basement price. I haven't seen any tests of the body, but it is rated 750 cfm and has adjustable air bleeds and I think downleg boosters if memory serves. You could profile your own throttle shafts and get some thinner screws.

• 3 months later...

Why not? With no choke horn, a fully polished venturi and thinned throttle blades with profiled shafts? Works out to about a 35% flow improvment. Possible no doubt.

I didn't flow mine, but that was what Barry Grant claimed. Regardless of the real numbers, it runs great on my car and I don't feel like I was taken advantage of so it was a good transaction.