HybridZ

is my R200 LSD? how can I tell?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm sure it was in a 78 because it fell on me when I took it out :shock: my 78 280 2+2 4spd I am quite sure was spinning both tires as the dual black streaks and varified on multiple occurances. However this was with 9.5" wide tires and when I went back to 70's it only spun one tire.

I would agree that it is not lsd as the evidence would indicate but can anyone offer an explination as to both of the wider tires spinning? :?:

Guest livewire23

Not to go off on a tangent here, but when I spin my right tire, only the right one spins. when I spin the left it it much harder to spin. At first I thought it was brake drag, but then I realized that when I spin the left, the right also spins in the opposite direction. Is it normal for one tire to spin freely without the other one spinning?? :shock:

longfellow you've got me stumpped.

livewire the only thing i can think of is that you have something dragging on the left side, like you said perhaps a brake. if this is so then it would be harder to turn the left side because you were turning the dragging side and rotating the right side also. conversely when you rotated the right side it would try to rotate the left side but if it was dragging enough you would override the diff and just turn the right side. it sounds like your diff is operating normally but i would check out the left side brake and bearing to see what is holding it up. it would most likely be that either your brake is out of adjustment or your emergency brake isn't fully released.

Log into my personal album, I have posted a few pics of interest concerning the VLSD and LSD unit. Both came stock with the finned rear cover, Nissan motorsports catalog has a good picture. This cover is available from motorsports as are the LSD units. As others have stated, rear end gear ratio should be 3.700 with a stamp on the ring and pinion that reads 37:10, and a bunch of other stuff as well. The transmission speedometer pinion gear should be blue in color and have a tooth count of 18, on all 300ZX 1984-89. Only the 1987-89 300ZXT has the LSD units and the 1988 white colored car model SS used a VLSD. If you pull the VLSD unit GET THE CV SHAFTS. This unit used a very special shaft to connect the Viscous clutch from left to right, I have pics of that as well in my album. If you pull the LSD unit no issues on the input shafts, as they are the same as everyother carrier made by Nissan for the R-200 that I can recall. Hope this helps. Mike :D

This topic has been covered many times. The only sure way to tell if you have LSD is to pull the rear cover and look for clutches. A worn LSD will look like an open diff. So will a quaiffe. An open diff on an independent rear suspension will usually spin both tires since you don't have the solid axlel torquing one wheel off the ground.

Don't mean to step on toes, but if you look at my album you will see the VLSD and LSD still in the R-200. Note that they look very similiar in shape and size. As I stated both have the finned rear cover, and I'm sure as this topic has been covered before so have others stated the same. With differential out of the car (the part being on the shelf of some guys garage or recycle yard) a quick glance at the R-200 the only real noticable difference is the casting shape of the carrier. If the end opposite of the ring gear is squared off (but not a hard 90 degree angle) than it is LSD if it is more rounded than it is VLSD. No other marking that I am aware of. The open differential is easy to spot, four spider gears clearly visable and nothing else. Haven't seen a Helical drive but I don't think I would be comming accross one anytime soon. But if so I'll post pics. Mike

Guest Anonymous

thanx for all the info and to finish my question, Jim Powers said that" An open rear end will usually spin both tires on a irs beacause you don't have a solid rear axle tourqing one tire off the ground."

I thought that a open rear meant power was only sent to one wheel? :oops:

does it mean something else? :?: I didn't see anything onthe search about it but I'm not good with computers either. Can someone recommend a good source of info on this topic? :cry:

If i had only taken my mothers advice and "SHUT MY F*****G MOUTH!!":cuss: :roll:

Go here for some good general information.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

An open differential has one tire called the "drive tire". In short, moving forward is accomplished by the left tire turning as result of the right tire not being able to spin the in the reverse direction. The drive tire will always have the spider gear that turns in the direction of the carier and the opposite tire will have to spin the reverse direction as the carrier to accomplish slipping (turning a corner for example). Hope this helps. Mike

This is why you often only get the left tire to "light up", resulting in smoke and all that fun stuff.

Guest Phil1934

I have read all the info, but it would be nice to put it in a single post. I have the 180. What is the life with a V8? Do I grab the whole 200 or just the center and moustache bar? What are weak points on a 200? Should I wait until somone figures out the 230 mounting? Do I upgrade after the swap or just wait until I break things? Can I keep the four lug?

Here is an exert from my notes, hope it helps with the swap question. As for the durability, the R-200 is roughly the same dimentions as a Dana 44, which a lot of 4X4 guys are using in their Jeeps and such. Not a Dana 60 but than again you can fit the entire R-200 ring gear into the Dana 60 ring gear. Some guy here on this board has a mount that fits the R230 inplace of the R-200. The "guts" are the same, only the case is a little larger, actually more squattier, and they used a different ring gear and pinion gear. It has a shorter snout that the R-180 and R-200. The guts usually get torn up before the case does, so in my opinion the case is not that large of a consideration.

Parts Swappin’:

R-200: The R-180 to R-200 swap is fairly straight forward for 240 Z’s. First get the parts together, R-200 with selected rear end gear ratio, 240 Z drive line, transmission of selected year for ratios, R-200 mustache bar, R-200 rear transverse link, stock 1970-78 Z U-joint half shafts with R-200 side flange. Now install the R-200 mustache bar so the bar is behind the transverse link vertical support on 1972-78 models. All R-180 mustache bars are mounted in front of the transverse link vertical supports. Doing this may require a bit of angling it around and cursing but it should fit without removing the fuel tank strap. Next install the R-200 rear transverse link support in it’s stock location with bend facing the rear of the car. Now install the front isolator mount, R-180 and R-200 are the same and now your new R-200 should bolt up with out any other issue. If you use a 5-speed or 4-speed, you can use your stock 240 drive line without modifying it at all and this drive line has serviceable U-joionts too boot. I ran a 1977 280 Z 5-speed, 1977 280 Z R-200, stock 1973 240 Z drive line, and stock 1973 240 Z U-joint half shafts for years without problems on a 3.1 L motor that was camed and stock twin SU’s.

Mike