HybridZ

Funny thing happened to most of my smokiness

....My hotrod buddy with the 55 Chevy advised me to swap my plugs to Bosch Platinum plugs when I tlkd him my motor was smoking a lot. Yesterday before we left for the car show, I swapped a set in, and low and behold....No burning oil in the pipes...No blue smoke.... I'm amazed. I never ran Bosch plugs in anything before, but I'm officially sold!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Mike, Im glad to see you had good results with the plugs. I had an S.V.O. Mustang & the Bosch Platinum where the only plugs I could get any life out of. At work its a different story. Alot of drivability problems have been solved by removing the Bosh Platinums, infact every car we seen them in has had hi hc's and a twitchy idle. When replaced with the cheap Champions we have on the shelf the numbers and twitch get better. They don't seem to work well in stock, everyday cars. I like the look of the new Bosch Platinum 4 plugs with 4 electrodes (no indexing required). If any one has experience with these I'd like to no what you think.

Glenn

My daily driver is an older Mercedes AMG with over 200,000 miles. I put in the Bosch Platinums a few years ago and immediatley got better mileage and quicker starts(german cars seem to take forever to fire). They worked out so well I decided to put in the 4 electrode plugs. I've got about 20,000 on 'em but really don't notice much difference.

Interesting! I tried a set of AC Rapidfires a couple of years ago. Much quicker starts and REALLY cleaned up the idle and off line stumbles. I was sold. Only plug I'll use in my Z. Electrode technology has been ignored for many years. I bet we see even better designs in the near future.

JS

Umm Jim, It is was loading up on idle, and I have since corrected it. Although I'm sure the rings are still recouping from being washed down a while back. However, before the plugs were swapped you could see it smoke at idle....

I've been told by a number of reputable builders that the motor will clear up over time, as it is a VERY new build and I have less than 500 miles on it. However, tell your buddy Torri that he can rest assured that the motor will come out and be completely gone over (and upgraded) if the dyno numbers don't make me happy, and definitely if the thing doesn't quit smoking.

I'll be driving it much more over the next few weeks, and I'm sure I'll know something by early August as to if it will need to be pulled.... However, a healthy pay raise given to me this week, and driving that thing over the weekend has my Zcar fix renewed! I will have a 200MPH car, P-E-R-I-O-D!

Mike Kelly

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited June 27, 2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Bosch +4 plugs in my 200SX and WOW what a difference. I got the car about 6 months ago and it had NGK plugs in it. I tried the +4's (had to buy 8 of them damit!) and they are worth the extra money, trust me. I noticed a drastic improvement right away. I've put about 20 000 K (14 000 miles?) and it is still running good. It does have a twitchy idle though... goes anywhere from 500 to 1100 rpm sometimes!! I am hapy with the bosch plug though.

------------------

The crazy datsun guy

Guest Anonymous

Datsunlover

Your Idle problem is a pretty common problem on late model FI motors generally its the tps or it could be just a little carbon buildup in the intake tract. When people come to us with this problem the first thing we do is clean the intake with a good throttle body cleaner then if that soesn't fix it we test the tps with an ohm meter. these 2 fixes get 90% of the problems repaired.

Hmm.. thanks for the tips... I'l try that with my 200sx. It only has to last another few months though.. I want to drop in a 305 or 305. Any ideas on that? I know this is a 'Z car' board but I figured you people would know about V8 transplants... and it is a Nissan after all! I think it's strong enough.. could a V8 kit be modified to fit a 200SX? Any help/constructive critisizm is welcome! Thanks!

------------------

The crazy datsun guy