HybridZ

Buying a v8 and transmission for a 78 280z

Hey there guys,

What are my choices in buying a v8 and transmission for my Z ? I don't need anything fancy, I would like to get more horsepower and better gas mileage and have an engine that anyone can work on. I plan on getting the car ready in the next year, I.E. better brakes roll cage, new suspension, and radiator. I have never bought a new engine before so I don't know what combinations engines transmissions and carb/fuel injectors to look for. Would getting the JTR manual tell me my choices or just tell me how to install it? Like I don't even know if you get engines with the carbs and all put together, or do you have to put them together from a basic engine block yourself. I know so many of you have done this or are going to, so I hope you can help.

Thank you and happy driving.

Guest BigWhyteDude

if it where my car i would just buy something like a 350 crate from jegs or Summit. Crate motors are a good choise for someone doing a first swap. You could just get one out of a junk yard car for cheap or buy a donor car with a good motor in it. and swap it into your Z. or you could build your own motor from the block up and get some bad a$$ hp out of it is you want to. :twisted: Just a few sugestions for ya

l8er

damn forgot about the trannys im sure you could find what you need in jegs and summit.

You have to determine your budget. Then you have to answer a lot of questions like:

Do I want an automatic or a standard?

Do I want to go carburated or fuel injected?

Do I want to install all new gauges or try to use the ones I currently have?

How much HP & torque do I really want?

Am I going to do all the work or hire much of it done?

If you don't have the JTR manual - get one. It will give you a much clearer picture of what lies ahead.

If power AND fuel economy are your driving targets, then I would suggest a fuel injected engine with an overdrive tranny (4L60E/700R4, or T56{double overdrive}). I think that the easiest FI setup would be the LT1 V* from a 94-96 Z28/Firebird/Vette, etc.

Tim

I am in agreement with Tim for the most part, but if drivability and economy are both goals, I would look for a 91-92 305 TPI 5 speed car. While not as fast as the LT1 combo, it won't be as expensive, either. The whole setup can be had for about the price of just the T56 if you want a manual trans. With pocket ported heads and a cam upgrade, the 305 should have a Z car in the low 13's high 12's with 30 mpg fuel economy. Even cheaper and not as cool looking would be a TBI 305/5 speed setup which should give high 13's and compareable fuel economy. I paid $700 for a '90 305 and WC 5 speed with all accessories, wiring, and computer..

The 87 and up TPI cars have roller cams, but as a benchmark, my friend did an 86 flat tappet 305 TPI and TH700 conversion into his 3700# '74 Corvette convertible. With an SLP cam and headers, the car ran 13.97 at 101 in Baytown. Only other mod was K&N on the MAF and an Edelbrock intake base, only because the stock base was warped. This was the first TPI swap I had seen, completed in '88. The junkyard cut the harness to get it out of the car and he spliced every single wire back together. Ouch, but aftermarket harnesses were non-existent at the time.

Thanks,

just the easiest, sheapest way of dropping in a new engine and trasnmission. No intire strip down or crazy mods. My wife I am sure will not want me spending years on this now since it is my daily driver. I also don't have a garage. I would like to use my gauges but no big deal if I have to replace them. Horsepower isn't an issue. Just more than the stock Z which isn't hard to do. Automatic tranny most likely. I am just so tired of shifting. But I could go either way. All I want to do when the time comes is replace the fuel pump, engine, tranny, and driveshaft. I want to have everyting else done before hand. That way it costs less since I can spred out payments and since it is my daily driver I won't have to take too much time off. Thanks. Are there websites that sell good engines and transmissions or do I need to ask around at shops?

Thanks again and happy driving,

Kyle

Without a garage this is going to be hard to do. Expect to have the car off the road for about a month. That's realistic. Others may say it can be done in a long weekend, but this is somewhat unrealistic because of all the little things that pop up....broken bolts, electrical problems and so on and so on....

Do you have the tools and ability to perform such a project? Whatever you do, get the JTR manual first and read it several times, cover to cover before you even think of starting to procure parts.

A word from the wise (well, from me anyway) :D

Read this if you haven't already: http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19186

Tim