HybridZ

Corvette differential option?

dmyntti

I am considering having a set of Z struts modified to accept a stock 84-96 Corette rear wheel bearing assembly. These bolt on with three bolts and have a splined hole through the middle. I would use this with the Corvette brakes and the Corvette Differential. The half shafts would have to be built with a slip joint in the middle like the Datsun shafts. I was thinking these could be adapted from some front drive shafts off of 4x4 trucks cut down to length. I do not have the Corvette rearend yet but was wondering what you guys think. :?:

Thanks,

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I want LSD and a taller ratio for highway driving. My car will be a daily driver with some drag racing on weekends. I do not want flairs and after reading your writeup I do realize I can not keep the whole Corvette rear suspension. I think that what I am trying to do would eliminate the weak points in the rear end and make my drivetrain fairly bulletproof.

If I go with an R230 conversion wouldn't I still have a weak point at the 240z Stub axle? :?: I have also had a difficult time finding a LSD R200 or R230 with a decent gear ratio. If I went with the Corvette rear I could get a 3.08 gear ratio that would be good for my drive to work (65 miles each way). Another benefit of the Vette stuff is the large disc brakes and five lug wheels. I know I can achieve my goals with the Datsun parts if I can find them but I think it is going to be pricy compared to the Vette stuff. Beside's I like to be different (read: makes things difficult). 8)

I have not given you a straight answer yet, have I? :D :D That is probably because I am not sure exactly what you have or plan to do with it. Still need to know what tranny you have and are you planning to drag race the car with really sticky tires?

I need to caution folks to carefully consider what I did with the C4 swap before they decide that is what they want. I went with a 3.08 for somewhat similar but different reasons. I needed a LSD but I needed to run 130+mph in the 1/4 and keep the tranny in 3rd and the engine around 5500RPMs. On the hwy I am running a tad under 2000RPMs at 72mph in OD and LU with a TH200-4R. The GN setup can deal with that because it is a low-revving, mild-cammed grunt engine and the slightest pedal pressure kicks it out of LU and a little more kicks it out OD. Not sure how an NA would deal with those low revs. Once again, depends on the tranny you are using. If you are using a T-56, you do not want to do this. Some of the other LT1 cars can chime in on how this engine deals with low revs and high-gearing. Hate to see you do a mod that might cause damage because you end up lugging the engine too much or end up having to upshift on the highway.

The C4 rear brakes are 11.4" so you better plan on having similar or larger in the front or a prop valve which would then defeat the purpose. The C4 uses the GM 5-lug pattern which is 5x4.75". Unless you look for rims designed for early GM rear wheel drive cars, just about every late model GM is going to have a FWD-like offset, even the RWD Vette, Z-28s, TransAm, etc. E.g., the wheels I am using for my slicks are late Z-28s 16x8 with a 6" BS :eek:... If you want a matched set of wheels, you have to use an oddball adaptor in the front or find a wheel for early GMs. That sort of rules out some of the nice late-model GM wheels which are super lightweight and can be had cheaply.

The 280Z stubs are the strongest and you should have them if you plan to drag race with sticky tires. If not you can probably get away with the early ones.

Not trying to talk you out of your idea but I have no idea if it will work and just want to caution you on things you might not have considered.

I will be using a 700R4 transmission. The LT1 should be quite happy with a 3.08 gear ratio as this is an optional ratio for the Corvette with an Automatic, some came with 2.59 ratio andt he Corvette tires are about the same diameter as everyone is running on their Z's. I do intend to drag race this car some probably with drag radials or slicks but I do not anticipate getting below the twelves. If I can get the rear setup like I want then I will do a similiar conversion on the front with the Corvette front wheel bearings and brakes. I will be using an adjustable proportioning valve. I have a buddy that has a machine shop willing to do the work for me and I have a complete set of struts on a parts car. I just want opinions before I buy a Corvette rear end.

I do not think I could tell you if the hub and axle mods would work. You also need to fab up a front diff mount, get the correct driveline angle and make a driveshaft. No problem on the 3.08/700R4 combo, but the C4 tire is a 255/50-16 which is 26" and taller than most Zs use.

Make sure you understand every mod that will be required and understand the cost. It will not be inexpensive.

Here are some pics of my front diff mount that I designed to adapt the C4 diff to the stock Z x-member. You are welcome to copy the idea. However, note that it is a solid mount, which I decided on specifically for the kind of racing I do.

final-mods.jpg

diff-mount.jpg

dmyntti Why do you need LSD? My 280z with the 383 has run 11.0 on just motor with the stock r200 non lsd. Traction has never been a problem on Z-cars with good tires. On my 72 240z I am going with a R230, only because I bought this diff with 4 inner cv's and the axles cut to 12" for $300. The 3.54 with OD is nice on the highway. I think alot of people try to over build the Z-cars, it does not take that much to make z-cars run good. If you need LSD just buy a R230, they go for $200-300 online.

Mike