HybridZ

What areas are prone to rust?

I am going to look at a 240z and would like some advice on what to look for when looking for rust and rot.

What areas are most likley to have rust?

How can I spot bondo?

Do I need to bring any special tools to find rust?

Also the car is in primer, is that a good or bad sign?

Thanks.

The main places to chech for rust are, under the carpet, under the car especially the frame rails, the little "shelf" above the tail lights and under the hatch, check the cowl panel, around wheel wells, front fenders between the door and front tires. Pretty much everywhere else too.

A car in primer can mean they are trying to cover something up, it seems strange that someone would go to the trouble to primer a car and not paint it.

Ask lots of questions sometimes that is the best way to get to the truth. Makes sure everything they tell you "fits"

Good luck

You can find bondo by tapping on the sheet metal with your finger. Sheet metal has some give and kinda echos. bondo is more of a dull thud.

Key areas are the battery tray, the flat area under the rear hatch and the rocker panels just in front of the rear wheels. The lower extremities are where most of the bondo will reside.

While the places above are probably the first areas to rust, they are also the easiest to fix. It is the rusted floor pans that would make me look for a different car.

I would say mainly the Z Car Portion will contain rust usually :-D:cry:

Yeah I agree. The Z car unibody is a like place for rust!! :D

Take along a little magnet to check for bondo. The correct way to repair rust is to cut out the offending area and weld in a patch panel, then use plastic filler.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...