HybridZ

BUILDING A 750HP Z32 350 SWAP

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

Hello all, I just joined the forum and I hope to get some help on this project that me and my employees are about to start on. What we have is a NA 90 300zx 5-spd. Motor is in great condition. But we had a TT as our shop car and the damn thing kept blowing head gaskets becasue of all the boost running through the motor. Plus she just wasn'tenough for our taste. So I have come to you guys....to show me the way to this V8 conversion thing. I need to know if the good ole Chevy turbo 350 auto trans will fit in the transmission opening of the Z, and if the 350 motor will go in will ease or is there going to be alot of headaches involved getting that motor in there. Last but not least, will the drive train from the transmission back hold over 600lbs of toruqe? Oh and by the way guys when ya'll are looking for parts do not hesitate to give me a email or a replay or even a phone call. I will try to help you out as much as possible. The umber to the shop is 252-637-1NXR. Please help me out if ya'll can.

Howdy and welcome,

Here is a good place to start,

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20108

This is the only finished z32 I have seen here. It actually looks like a really good fit. The overhead cams make the original engine a tight fit. I would say that (for me anyway) the electrics would be the hard bit.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

Well from what i've read....and there isn't much on the z32 350 swap. It looks like all i should have to do is make up a couple motor mounts, a couple tranny mounts, and then get me a custom driveshaft made and balanced, and I should be on my way to tuning the car.Now we are experimenting with twin turbocharging the car with a set of tdo5 mitsubishi turbos. I think that shorty corvette headers reversed should give us a place to mount the turbos and a custom airbox will feed the carb. The hardest part will be finding a set of turbo floats for the carb, so that we don't smash the stock carb floats under high boost. tell me what ya'll think am I forgeting something? later Blake

You can make the carbs work. There are blowthrough turbo groups on the net that have lots of good info. holley has floats you need of the shelf. There is probably a lot more tuning to get the carbs to work and they will proabably never have the range that injection does but they are a hell of a lot cheeper. The original book "turbochargers" buy Hugh Mcinnis (sp?) has some good info on set up with carbs.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

The reason I'm gonna use a carb, is because 1. cheap 2. flow a hell of alot more gas than injectors. 3 can get alot more horsepower from a carb. the biggest set of injectors I have seen for the tunnel ram on a lt-1 is a set of 1,000 cfm holleys and that would be using an 1,100 cfm throttle body. Them things are not cheap at all! plus if i can get them set up to work using a carb, after I make my money back on some races, then i will surelly be able to go the fuel injected route. But first things first, I need to get ahold of your boy your car is slow, and see if he can guide me through the install. or atleast shed some light on the project for me. later Blake

Guest Your Car is Slow

Eh..its your dime....I think it would just be a heckuva lot easier (and more reliable) to make that kinda power with a Turbocharged EFI LT1 vs a carbed SBC.

Guess we can compare when we are done... Dan and I plan to put large turbos on both our LT1 Zs :)

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

Well it looks like I'm gonna be on my own on this swap. For some odd reason I can't get any info anywhere. Hell after last night toying with some ideas. I figured it just be easier to rip out the 960hp nitrous motor I have in my chevelle and use it as the power plant for th Z. Easier and alot less headaches with dealing with turbo's. Later Blake

Guest Your Car is Slow

as dan posted earlier...there wasnt much to the swap other than fabricating the motor mounts to use and getting a custom driveshaft made.

He didnt have (or know about) the JTR manuals...and did everything himself in less than 3 weeks.

I dunno what you are looking for at this point...its going to take some fabrication and "thinking outside the box" to get this done (just like any project)...as it seems only one of these has ever been completed.

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

So all that should have to be done is custom motor mounts and a drive shaft? Did your buddy use a painless wiring system for the lt-1 and the trans? i also assume he had to make some mounts for that auto trans right? How did he get the computer to keep running the gauges in the 300? If you can answer the questions for me I would appreciate it thanx Blake

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

Well we got the motor and trans out of the nissan. Now we have to remove the motor out of the chevelle. I'll get the pics up asap when we start dropping in the motor. When the motor and tranny are outta the 300 you can really see how much room there is to work with. I can already tell this is gonna be fun real fun. Well get with ya'll many wrench turns later. :D

Guest Your Car is Slow

I know he didnt use a wiring kit...he spliced everything from the LT1 ECU using the service manual.

Dunno about the trans mount.

Guest NXRPERFORMANCE

Hello all. It's been awhile, I have actually taken this whole z32 install thing a little bit further. We've been taking so long on the install, because we are documenting the intire swap and keeping very close on all of our materials and dimensions on the euipment we are having to make for the swap to be " done right" . I have already sent off the designs to the patent office. But hopefully NXR will be able to offer the public a bolt in kit for the 90-96 z32 350 swap. Well I gotta take off , you guys stay cool. Later Blake

I'm thinking about looking for a 300ZX 2+2 (need room for the 2 kids!)!

I think a JY or crate LS1 with a T-56 or auto would be a fun daily driver!

How's the exhaust working out on the swap?

Driveshaft u-joint angles?

BTW, did the 300ZX TT (Z32) have a viscous or Torsen diff? I heard the TT got a torsen from the factory.