HybridZ

wait a minute fellas i think i've got an idea...

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

when it comes to swapping the LS1 into a zcar, we have been talking about possibilities for fabricating motor mounts right? - there are existing LS1 conversion kits for earlier year camaros and firebirds - could somebody possibly use those conversion motor mounts and the JTR mounts to place an LS1 in the appropriate position? :?

Seems to me the hard part of that conversion isn't so much the physical mounting per se as it's all the wiring connections that need to be made. While I would want nothing but a computer-controlled engine compartment in my daily driver, for my toy I'm not that keen on the whole idea of it. Seems to me it's entirely the wrong way of going about things. Then again, as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Guest Anonymous

Tom,

I have thought of this also. I know that the ls-1 is being put into F-body cars that came with the lt-1. Not sure if they are swapping engine cradels or what but that would be a nice starting point if the jtr parts plus what ever those quys are using would get the ls-1 in a Z. Mark

I had that same idea...

Street and Performance in Mena, AR has the mounts you are talking about. Not sure which cars they will work in. Classic Camaro is working on an LS1 kit for 67-69 Camaros as well, so they may be a source. Not sure which parts they mod and which they keep.

:? I just had to comment on this. You fellow LS1 Z'ers can jump in here too. JTR kits use set back plates. The S&P mounts mentioned before are have about 2" of setback built into them. I have mentioned this a few times before in this forum. JTR ~4" setback, plus ~2" setback = 6" of plate going from the stock cross member back to an aluminum block. :shock: Plus, you lose space to mount accessories. :cry: Mounting the LS1 isn't that hard. Wiring is more challenging, but the biggest obstacles for me have been exhaust and accessory location. I think the corvette mounts are a much better system and they will be easier to use than the JTR stuff in the long run. Street and Performance sells those as well for $100, cheaper than the JTR kit. Here is one side that also has a machined aluminum bottom piece to mount to my cross member. Cyrus did the same thing and it is a very simple setup

album_pic.php?pic_id=559

http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104/photos2.html

You can click and drag this link or copy it to your address bar. Top pics are mine, bottom one is Cyrus's. Just my $ .02. :wink:

Guest tom sixbey

are you doing your swap into an early style car? - I'm wondering about the possiblities of doing it to a later model (79-83) car. Lots of homework to do... i overheard them talking about retaining the stock gauges on another post - thats a big plus for me! - thanks for the info...

Give him a month or two and John's Cars will have motor mounts for the LS1 in 280Z's. The prototype units are in my '77 280Z now. They work in conjunction with the original Datsun mounts and they bolt in - no welding. They do not require rerouting of the steering gear arm or any suspension component. They also allow access to the heater connections and AC connections and will properly locate the shifter in a T56 or 4L60E.

I think the extra crossmember method with the corvette mounts is gonna be the easiest, most cost effective LS1 mounting method. Then you can lop off your datsun motor towers and have zero accessory mounting problems which further simplifies and eliminates costs. I guess that's not entirely true - the A/C bracket needs some massaging to work properly And you have to buy an idler pulley (available at Autozone, Kragen, etc.) to delete the PS pump. Very minor issues.

It'd be key for someone like Ross or Mike to offer a kit along these lines for those without fabrication skills. T56 or 4L60e can be mounted with a simple bracket or other such solution just like a "normal" JTR swap. Slave cyl. is still a pain in the ass - although at least now it's a documented pain in the ass.

If you have a few hundred bucks, you could buy a swap harness from GM or Speartech and be finished pretty quickly. The LS1 harness does not need to co-mingle with the datsun wiring at all. Adapting an FBody (or C5) harness does require some work though.

As to using stock gauges: you could probably put the datsun oil and water senders in the LS1 pretty easily. I guess it's possible to use the datsun fuel sender, but I think either using the FBody sender/pump assembly or complete tank will be simpler and save some money (aftermarket pumps and FPRs are very pricey). Should be able to tweak the resistance signal from the FBody sender to work with the datsun gauge.

But, the speedo: the VSS->mechanical adapter is actual more expensive than an electronic speedo. I guess it's a matter of personal preference.