HybridZ

Not sure about the Mustang, but those other cars loaded are around $24k. LS1, 6 speed, a useable backseat, and performance image is all excellent in the GTO. I don't think the styling is THAT bad (Aztec, Avalanche, could be worse, huh?) without all the idiotic cladding. But $35k is where they missed the boat IMO. That was the ONE thing they got right on the last gen Camaro. The ergonomics of the car sucked (Foot wide A-pillar, giant converter hump in passenger footwell, GIANT windshield and mile long dashboard, absolutely useless rear seat. And T-tops on nearly EVERY Z28 unless you special ordered) and as a result they didn't sell very many. The Impala SS did well in the mid $20's, but mid $30's just too damn much for an American car. (Much less a truck...)

Guys, check this out:

http://www.ai-online.com/issues/article_detail.asp?id=61

Well, the April issue came out and they said they got over 400 responses to tell the author he WASN'T crazy, that they agreed (this is an auto industry magazine, so were talking people involved in the auto man. business saying this) and only 4 negative responses.

HELL YEAH. Build me an exact looking copy of a 70 Cuda, 69 Camaro, 65 GT350 Shelby, (many others), with a copy of the original interior (but better quality fit and finish inside and out), redesign the structure to add stiffness, take out weight, add crumple zones, other safety stuff, and put a modern V8 drivetrain in it! A real (5.7L) Hemi Cuda! A 69 Z/28 with a Z06 drivetrain (well, go ahead and add the Vette's IRS, etc.).

If they were $25-$30K they'd wouldn't be able to make them fast enough!

I agree, the Monaro/GTO will be a fine car. But the GTO name just isn't right.

I like the SBC V8 6 speed idea in a smaller car.

I dont like the use of the GTO badge as I feel that is basically a gimmick attempting to persuade the Goat collectors into buying this car: atleast if you are going to call it a GTO-then give it a Pontiac engine.

Remember when GM tried to sell a 442 in the mid 90's and used the Quad4 engine-it didnt seem to go over so well: atleast the Quad4 was an Olds engine however it was not a V8.

I dont believe the Auto Mfg's understand that the Muscle Car crowd are not interested in imitation knock offs. If you are going to use a Muscle Car insignia-atleast give it the inheritance of purity...AKA: GTO=Pontiac Engine.

Event tho these insignia's are just name plates-there is something wrong with selling a duck and trying to make everyone believe it is an eagle.

I agree w/PeteP about making miniature Muscel Cars w/V8's in them. Everyone remember the sucess Toyota had w/the 1977 & 1978 Celica's? They were basically miniature 69-70 Mustangs w/4 bangers-their looks were great: performance-well nothing to write home about, but their looks were nice because they were a miniature copy of the Mustang. Dont forget the Vega's. The Vega's were basically miniature Camaro's.

I like the newer GTO's idea of getting a V8 & 6 speed but I have to join the rest of you about not liking the use of the GTO badge nor its 35k price tag.

No need to try and hook me by using the GTO badge-just give it a new name and let it sell itself w/out trying to manipulate my feelings about the Muscle Car good ole days.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guys,

This is not a small car. Its bigger then a 5 seriers BMW, almost the same size as a 7 series. Its been so long since I have been in the states that I cant really compare it with domestic product, But I dont think it would be far of the size of a caprice or similar.

Douglas

I don't think GM gives a rats A$$ about the "muscle car" crowd. Old car guys for the most part aren't supporting the big 3's existence. As the old saying goes, GM is in the business of making money, not cars. And for the last 10 years, that has meant building trucks. Why not call the car a GTO? After all, it is in the same mold as the original. Plain vanilla 2 door passenger car sedan with powerful V8, rear drive and manual trans. What's not to like? (Except the 2 year old Corvette price.) The '94-'96 Impala SS was a complete success but a watered down knockoff as well if judged on the same criteria. If you don't like Pontiac styling you may be screwed, but kind' I like the last gen Grand Prix, although I wouldn't buy a Wrong Wheel Drive car. And this car ain't so bad, either IMO. At least compared to Grand Ams, Sunfires, Cavaliers, Luminas, Tahoes, Avalanches, Aztecs, etc. that GM has been churning out since the demise of the Impala and the F body. Even the new pick-em-ups have a goofy crooked headlight look. But my guess is they will sell plenty of new " GTO"s to the retro-crazed bulk of the population. Kudos for GM for actually trying to sell a performance sedan again, let's wish them success so that MORE options will come online for consideration.