HybridZ

lobe failure

just some info guys,as you know I tend too run more ,CROWER,CRANE,ERSON AND LUNATI CAMS BUT THIS APPLIES TO ALL BIG BLOCK CAMS,and to some extent small blocks too. I was asked about a comp cams big block lobe failure on a new cam install,now if all the clearances and procedures were correctly done that still leaves this other fact which might have some effect on lobe life, the comp cams xe grinds have exceptionally fast ramp speeds to give you the most possiable area under the lift curve, now after building dozens of big blocks I found that this tool,(in combination with a high volume oil pump and a MILODON WINDAGE SCREEN) used to provide extra oil flow to the lobe surface at all rpms is one great insurance policy against lobe failure

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/335.html

I now use it on all the blocks to provide extra oil flow to the lifters lobe surfaces, most people seem to not realise that the cam lobes get much of the oil they need to survive the stress their under from the valve springs thrown on their lobes by the spinning crank and rods, thats one of the big reasons they tell you to break-in a new cam at 2500rpm and not let the engine idle durring the break-in , its because at idle and just above idle theres a lot less oil being thrown around by the spinning rotateing assembly, now im betting its not so much the cam as the lack of oil or clearance problems as it was being run that caused the failure here.

and a suggestion to run a can of GM's E.O.S. is a good one too!

A roller should have ZERO lober wear issues, that's part of the beauty of the system. I tell people to go with Comps Magnum grinds rather than XE because of LOTS of lobe scuffing problems, at least with their earlier cams. Besides, Chevy's have excellent exhaust ports (I know Terry, Blue oval!)and work well with single pattern cams, sometimes added exhuast duration can cause over scavenging.