HybridZ

R200 seal and mount numbers

SleeperZ

I'm hoping I can save someone else some aggravation and time with my recent experience...

I got a turbo R200 (3.54), and I'm replacing all the seals and fabricating a mount for drag racing this season. I went to my local dealer for Nissan parts and found out I know just a little more about my car than any of the monkeys working there (John Elway Nissan :lol: ). I ordered a rear cover seal, a pinion seal, 2 side seals and a stock diff mount. I spent over an hour with the guy going over their computer listings and crappy diagrams trying to identify the parts. They came up with several numbers for rear cover seals, so I ordered both because they wore supposedly both for an R200 :? . We also came up with some numbers for the pinion and side seals, and got it all on order.

I got the parts in. One of the cover seals was obviously for an R180 (and it referenced correctly for a 280ZX turbo doh!). The pinion seal was correct, but the side seals turned out to be pinion seals (more confusion). After re-ordering the side seals, I finally got in the right part. It took three weeks, all told.

R200 Nissan part numbers:

Rear cover gasket : 38320-N3111

Pinion seal : 38189-N3100

Side seals (2) : 38342-N3100

Stock diff mount : 55415-N4301

Don't go in to get stock parts without the numbers!

Guest 3154tm

nathan,

how hard is it to replace that front seal? i'm trying to find a low mileage r230. they all have at least 60k and could probably use new seals. the cover gasket and side seals look straight forward. what's involved with changing the pinion seal? thanks.

frank

nathan' date='

how hard is it to replace that front seal? i'm trying to find a low mileage r230. they all have at least 60k and could probably use new seals. the cover gasket and side seals look straight forward. what's involved with changing the pinion seal? thanks.

frank[/quote']

Well, this is what I did, hope I didn't screw anything up... ( I had to swap flanges anyway to fit my driveshaft)

I removed the flange nut with an impact wrench, and pulled the flange off with a gear puller. I punched the old seal in with a screwdriver and pried it out. My seal driver set was useless for installation because of the pinion shaft in the center, so I took an '87 Maxima rear brake bracket and centered on the seal and lightly pounded it in around the edges until it was flush. Then I reinstalled the flange, and torqued it to 145 ft/lbs (FSM said 137-152). Hopefully I didn't alter the backlash on the pinion :bonk: