HybridZ

how to install oil cooler on L24?

Guest spunkysandoval

Guest spunkysandoval

hello everyon,

I am rebuilding my motor, and it is nearly complete. I noticed that my new l24 block does not have the threaded thing that the oil filter screws onto. It also doesn't have the pressure relief valve, and in it's place is a threaded insert.

The previous owner of this block said he used it for racing. Was it possible that he installed an oil cooler on it? If so, how do I put one on? What parts do I need?

Thanks for any help,

Isaac

My Z has an oil cooler from MSA. Their set up has an adapter that (I think) screws onto the stock oil filter stud. A stock oil filter then screws straight on top of the adaptor. Two hose come out of the side of the adaptor to feed the cooler.

Sounds like your set up is quite different. I know MSA also sells external oil filter adaptors also, so I would start there and see if you recognize anything.

That sounds to me like the previous owner used the cooler and mounting hardware from a stock 280zxt. The stock 280zxt has a plug in the pressure relief valve location and uses a hallow bolt through a banjo fitting (to the oil cooler) to hold the oil filter assembly in place. If you ever get the chance to see on in person you will no exactly what I mean but it is hard to describe without a picture.

Dragonfly

Guest spunkysandoval

Dragonfly, thanks for the description. I figured it was the stock oil cooler from a stock 280zxt. I'm going to go ahead and put one on. I'll go the that parts yard tomorrow and try to source on.

Thanks for your help,

Isaac

Guest spunkysandoval

I went to the parts yard today. What a dissappointment. Not one reminent of an oil cooler. There was one on this diesel l motor, but a man quickly decided he wanted the whole motor so i left it alone.

There was one at this all Z auto wrecking place down the street, but the man was out of his mind. He wanted 150$ for that beat up one. I took a look at it and remembered The 110$ msa oil cooler.

Does anyone have a spare oil cooler. I dont need the radiator because i can get one from the auto parts store. I just need the piece that screws into the oil filter location.

Thanks,

isaac

If you aren't racing I wouldn't put on an oil cooler. Rarely does the oil get hot enough on the street (turbo maybe), and so you end up running cold oil, reduced flow, and a lot of wasted apparatus. If you are racing, then as previously mentioned you can unscrew the filter nipple from any other L series block. For racing we usually bored them (the nipple) out to reduce restriction, as well as smooth out the sharp edges in the boss area where the main galley enters it. We also "blueprinted" all the sharp edges in the timing cover and the aftermarket adapters and fittings for the oil system.

I have to agree with the guys above about just using the threaded insert from any L series engine at the wrecking yard and running your engine with a regular oil filter/system and no oil cooler. I had one on my car which I drag race and auto cross and I took it off for the reasons mentioned by Katman.

If you are insistant on running the oil cooler let me know as I have all the parts you need and I will let you have them for a lot less than Lee (the guy at the wrecking yard), but you will see it is money better spent elsewhere on the car.

Dragonfly

Guest spunkysandoval

Thanks for your help. You may have just saved me about 50$. Too bad i don't know you all, or i'd buy you a drink.

I do have a question. How do i remove the oil filter nipple from the block? i have my old block still and it has the oil filter nipple on it. I took a look at it and it doesn't seem to be screwed in.

Thanks,

isaac.

It may not look like it is screwed in but it is, the way I did it was to take a cutting wheel on a dremmel tool and a notch into into the end so it looks kind of like this ( ) the notch should go across both sides but only needs to be just wide enough and deep enough for you to get a flat blade (such as a paint scraper) in it, then you can grab the scraper with a pair of pliers right next to the nipple (but only touching the scraper) and unscrew it. After it is out be sure to clean it before putting it into the good engine, you don't want any metal shavings getting into your engine. Make sure to tighten it into the good engine enough that you can not unscrew it with just your fingers.

If you would ever like to meet me you can look me up http://www.zcsd.org and show up at one of the club meetings, or events (no need to buy me a drink all my advice is free).

Dragonfly

Guest spunkysandoval

Well, it's out. Took about 2 minutes. I used a hack saw with two blades and a chisiel. I was amazed at how easily it unscrewed.

Thanks Dragonfly. As soon as i get my car running i plan on coming out to one of the zcsd meetings.

Thanks,

isaac