HybridZ

Crazy L28 combo!!! Surely nobody has tried it yet...

Guest DaneL24

Guest DaneL24

I came up with this short stroke, oversquare, long rod L28 combo, so unique I have a hard time believing anybody else has tried it. Maybe i'm wrong though...

So here it is: L28 block bored to 89 mm (3mm over), KA24 Pistons (from 240SX), L20A Rods (from Fairlady Z), L24 crank. This will result in 2751 cc's, exactly 2 less cc's than the standard L28...only the motor will have a higher rod ratio, a shorter stroke, and a wider bore. Excellent for high RPM power.

The piston heads would extend 3mm over the top of the block, so they would have to be shaved slightly, and a thicker 2mm head gasket (or stacking 2 head gaskets, with metal headgasket inbetween for sealing) would have to be used.

Here is the only potential problem I see, will the top compression ring of the pistons hit the top edge of the block?

So what do you all think? Am I wrong, has somebody tried this? If so, does it work?

I have 240 rods on a 280Z crank, 87 mm bore, with adjusted pin height on the piston in my turbo engine for a slight improvement in the rod to stroke ratio.

I am able to run a lot of boost on flat top pistons with pump gas without detonation, but I don't really have anything to compare it to. I think it runs pretty well though.

You could have a set of pistons made and take care of the top ring issue. As long as it is an NA engine it will likely be ok, but if turbo is in you plan, you need to ensure the ring placement is right.