HybridZ

turbo 240z test drive

Went for a test drive on Saturday. This car is going to be fun. Right now the car still has the 4 spd tranny and R180 diff, so its pretty light. Dumped the clutch and took off around my dirt circle drive, turbo kicked in and now we are drifting. I like it already. Didn't get too far and had to come back because engine was missing a little. After several running cycles over the last few days it occurs to me that it only starts missing when the ECU goes into close loop mode. It seems like my current mode of no exhaust may be causes fits with the O2 sensor. Running stock downpipe without anything else seems to be having problems keeping the O2 sensor at temp and keeping cold air out of the pipe at idle. For the next test drive I'll just run in open loop mode(disconnect O2). When I get exhaust hooked up then I will revisit.

Test drive agian tonight and maybe make it to the pavement to see how it hooks up. :rockon:

Also had so other luck this weekend as my parents are parting out a mid 80's buick. Was able to get a 2 speed electric fan and several air intake ducts. Also grabbed the 100 amp alternator off of it. Just like monster garage the price was free, nada, zip ......

Ooooooh, yes if the O2 sees an exaust leak it WILL run rich in a panic thinking the car is madly lean, it may pull timing (modern cars do). When I get such a "lean O2" warning on the Camaro its like a kick in the groin, it pulls ALOT of power.

Sounds like fun, unless I find an ignition module cheap I'm going to go Megasquirt, and I think thats most likely whats doin. BTW, the VE calc they have supposedly is VERY good with a few minutes data logging, so the real time AVR seems more "bling bling" for computer nerds than anything needed. The baseline calculator is also supposed to be very good, so I look forward to it.

Hey are you calling me a computer nerd :shock:

Just because I design computers and like to work on computers and wear glasses, uh oh, nevermind.......

Yeah I think your right, I will probably go Megasquirt too. There is a certain comfort level in using what has been proven out better.

And my pcb quote came back at $250 for 4 pcbs, ouch

I'm only a sys admin, I gave up on being uber-nerd know-it-all ;) So it has its, sexy appeal to me to have an automatic VE table, just seems cool. I read on the Megasquirt group recently that they experimented with it early on, but it would make so many constant adjustments that they felt thier safety net of 10k writes on the EEPROM would have easily been met with not all that much time elapsed. Another thing was that values would overwrite each other, sometimes with complete junk (sounds like program errata to me but whatever), anyhow the log and calculate stuff sounds like it works so well that its not needed anywho.

The simple fact that you dont have to turn the car off to program seems NUTS to me, because I'm used to 3 minute reprograms, with the car off - required. Real time alone seems sweet to have :)

As for Megajolt stuff, it sounds like real time timing work can be done, but only at idle, they are saying that there are too many calculations going on to safety reprogram timing stuff while at high RPM, sounds fine to me I spose, log and watch the MAP :)

Get some exhaust on that thing, strap an intercooler on it and bump the boost up to about 11 or 12 psi and you can really drift it then.

Good luck getting it situated, and welcome to Z car boost. You won't ever be able to go back to NA now. You have an addiction that will never go away.

I think there are still PCBs and programmed processor available through the group buy. It's a lot cheaper that way, and you don't have to get the programmer too. The partial kit comes with the MAP sensor and the FET driver too (at least another $20 if buyt them separte). The order page is here:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mspo1.html

I've got my MS up and running on the bench with the stimulator. Now as soon as the track car comes back from metal fab and paint, I'll be putting the 10:1 NA L28 in it. Can't wait to fire it up!!

Pete