HybridZ

Plastic Covering Injector... What is it? Is it Necessary?

geotek

I've pulled all of my injectors from my daily driver (stock '83 ZX n/a.) I have a couple of injectors that have cracked and broken plastic 'covers' that go over the injectors. What is this plastic used for? Can I completely remove it?

The part I am talking about is the portion of the injector nozzle that is inserted in the intake. There is a small hole on the end where the fuel comes out.

That fuel rail was no fun to remove, could've been designed for maintenance in mind.... :x

Not completely sure on this, but I think the plastic tips are just to protect the injector tip on install - they don't affect the spray pattern. When I installed my 370cc injectors, I had to get rid of all the tips so they would fit in the manifold, and they seem to work just fine (I also flow tested them on the bench; the pattern looks good without the tips).

:?

Well, I installed them anyway. This is my daily driver. I can't keep it out of service too long.

This is the first time I've removed the fuel rail and injectors. :evil: After reinstalling everything, I can understand the need for protection.

This started out as a simple problem. For some reason, the one-piece plastic injector holder broke on two injectors. This allowed the large rubber seal to protrude from the plastic injector holder. There was also a gas leak. I replaced the one-piece plastic injector holder with the two-piece aluminum injector holders from my parts car and replaced the injectors with a couple of the best ones from the parts car. New seals all around.

This also allowed me to find some bad vacuum hose going to the distributor advance(VERY bad-big holes!)

I appreciate the prompt response from Mudge and SleeperZ. When your daily driver is out of service, it's great to know that there is somebody out there that KNOWS what to do!