HybridZ

My new WB is way too tight

yo2001

What's wrong with 15 psi ?? :? Are you talking about a wastegate? What kind? WB?

It sounds like it has an adjustable length actuator rod? Are you taking all the tension out of it to reduce the boost? If so, maybe there is something wrong with it if it's supposed to be like a stock Nissan at 5-6 psi...

Yo,

not quite sure I understand your problem. Are you saying it is not a standard WG actuator and the minimum boost you get is 15psi? Did you have the pull on the rod ( :D :D ) to get it on lever? The amount of boost you get from a internal WG actuator is controlled by 2 things, 2 spring pressure and the length of the rod. The default is the rod slipping on the lever with no tension. If you shorten the rod then you pre-load the spring and boost goes up. Is it possible this non-stock actuator has the wrong length rod or the rod is misaligned?

1864i-3_B_L-med.jpg

Ok, that's my WG Actualtor looks like. I had to pull on the rod ro put it on before so I loosen it. Now it's just tight enough to keep the flapper shut. But I think the spring pressure is too stiff. the turbo must been set for high boost setting. Well, I guess I can get another one or give it more fuel :twisted: Thanks

Yo, I've not heard of a factory wastegate actuator that gives that much boost stock. Maybe it is defective if you still get 15psi with no pre-tension on the rod.

BTW, how does that turbo fit underneath your manifold? It looks like the actuator cannister interferes, as it sits above the turbine housing....

I don't think that is going to fit Yo. It may, but that is how mine was set-up delivered, and it wouldn't work, which is why I had a WG actuator bracket made. The nice thing about yours is it looks like it will bolt up to my old bracket, so we can clock the turbo to the stock position and then see how it works.

The tension on the thing is supposed to be tight, and remember you have boost coming in and pushing on the diaphram to open it too.

Yeah, the WB actualator might be facing too far up. but it just might fit. If it doesn't, I just make me a T3 WG bracket and run a bend rod or something. I don't know, it's stiffer than the stock Nissan Unit for sure. The stock unit was opening @ 10 psi via air compressor. One that I got looks like it was worked on some. Well, as long as WG opens around 10 psi, I should be OK. :D Thanks guys

If the rod slips on the lever with no tension and the boost is 15psi, then that is what the spring pressure in the cannister is set to deliver. That is not unusual. The stock GN spring delivers 12psi and I am using a HD version of that one that is set for about 16psi. The turbo itself has nothing to do with the control of boost.

Yes and no. With yours, someone modified that rod, so in effect it shortened the rod, which created more spring pressure. Moving the actuator closer to the swing valve will decrease the tension, and lower the spring pressure to a point.

That is of course assuming that you have to pull on the rod to get it over the deal on the swing valve. If it just slides on there, then no, there is not much you can do.