HybridZ

Anyone have historical/classic car licence plates?

Dave240Z

I've started entertaining the idea of getting a set of historical vehicle plates for the Z. I did some preliminary searches on the CA DMV site but came up a bit empty handed. Basically, I want to know what kind of qualifications are required and what types of restrictions are imposed through the issuance of a historical vehicle license plate.

I found this, so it seems the Z does qualify.

Vehicles of Historic Value

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(B) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1". Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

© A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

$25 bucks, that's it? Man, you guys got it easy. I had to fork out $140 for my collector plates. Plus side is I never have to go in for emissions and never again have to pay for registration. The only down side is I lost my personalized plate :cry: ... *sigh*

!M!

Kyle has them on theat purple monster over at Zdriver.com.

This may be a strange explanation, but here is why I would want the plates:

The 240Z is now exempt from the biannual smog check, but not necessarily exempt from running smog equipment, so performance upgrades and other modifications are in a seemly grey area IMO. So, it follows that if you get pulled over by a cop and he happens to look under the hood, there might be hell to pay.

BUT, with the historical plates, I would not bet that can add some much wanted confusion in the situation and they would be less likely to flip no matter what was under the hood. Make sense? It's really just a mind game of perception. I laugh when I see a completely modified 240Z with a V8, no smog equipment, etc with the historical plates :D The car never came that way from the factory, it is not a resto project, not stock, yet looks great and has "historical vehicle" plates. I love this country!

Davy

I had Maryland historic plates on my Z for a few years. The only qualifier was that the car be over 25 years old. The advantage was only $25 a year for the plates.

The down side is some people interpret the "(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities. " as meaning you can't use it to drive to and from work. Only to and from car shows.

I have seen other rules saying the car cannot be significantly modified from stock, although the clerk at the MVA only looks at the year of manufacture to determine eligibility. In Maryland you have to have insurance to have plates, so I gave up the plates when I garaged the car for the next couple of years.

Guest 240hybrid

I have historical/hobby plates on my Z....only cost $20 and $20 each year to renew stickers. I believe the law here says that you can only drive with these plates on the weekends and to events, but I drive during the weekdays without any problems from the law. I hope motor mods/swaps dont apply with historical tags. :D

I hope motor mods/swaps dont apply with historical tags. :D

If you get historical or collector plates, then you are saying that your car is stock, not modified, not changed from factory. Per the DMV you are supposed to get hobbiest plates is you futz with your car. I e-mailed the DMV and she told me that nobody really enforces the whole collector plate/hobbiest plate issue. I should have hobbiest plates, BUT then my insurance would go way up, I mean come on, the $63 I pay for a year of full coverage is kill'n me here :twisted::D

!M!

Here in Michigan if your car is 25 years old or older you can get a plate from the year your car was manufactured. Take it to the DMV and register that plate number for a one time fee of $35. No more fees and no restrictions. My ZX qualifies next year. :D

Texas has Antique car plates and they have classic plates. Classic plates have no restriction and can either use new plates labeled as classic or the appropriate year plate after it is inspected by DMV, the vehicle must be 25 years old or older. The cost is same as regular registration for classic plates, about $70 a year. The Antique plates are also for cars over 25 years. They cost $55 for 5 years but you are restriced in driving to "parades, exhibitions, and items of public interest." I have them on my '69 Camaro. At the time (I think it was 95?) I got them, they didn't ask or inspect it for "originality" I had heard rumor that now they want to see it, but I can't verify that.