HybridZ

95 Eclipse GSX

Guest livewire23

Guest livewire23

Anyone know about this car? I was thinking about getting one to replace the prelude in Iowa. Turbocharged AWD with room to grow. I don't know I'm pretty sold on it right now. Of course I'm also looking at the Talon TSi AWD.

Basically, I want something with AWD, and a turbo would be a huge perk. This is gonna be my new daily driver, and it has to be in the $5-6k range. Are there any other AWD cars that I should take a look at?

Guest ON3GO

i had a TSI..... but i had a 1st gen...

2nd gens suck i think.

maybe look nicer to some but still.

1st gens are faster stock, dont have much problems like the 2nd gens, and i think look meaner.

great cars i think though. the 4G63 is a great motor that just loves boost.

mike

Guest livewire23

i dont really care for the exterior looks of the 2g. the interior is much nicer though. The amount of $$$ I'd save on a 1g would let me knock up the boost and all, but its a daily driver. So comfort and wow-factor to non-car people has to be there. Basically, my girlfriend's got to want to ride in it. :D My 3 requirements:

AWD

Turbo

modern looks

I looked at the 3000gt VR4, but its heavy and costly. I'll take another look at the 1g. see how much I can get done for the 3k or so that I save. I love the 4g63t too. Nice motor.

Guest ON3GO

well 2nd gens have crap turbos for stock.. will the 14B on the 1st gens arent to bad.

1st gens have less motor issues though.

over all the 1st gens are better.

mike

Guest Damn Cracker

Another car you might want to look at that meets those requirments is a celica all-trac. Neat cars, and the 3sgte is supposed to be a very reliable motor, that handles mods great. 88-89 celcas (st165) are pretty cheap, and have about 200HP. 90-9? celicas (st185) area little more expensive, anddn't look as good in m opinion, but have about 250 HP, I think. Plus lots of aftermarket support, and most "non-car people" are down with celicas.

i think that the 1g 4wd turbo eclipses can be fast ass cars. i know a few in the 12s on bald street tires, and all the rice rocket gadget boxes bolt right up, every afc works straight up on them, my buddy runs 550cc injectors with an afc and runs mid 12s, but tranny work on thems is harsh....

Guest livewire23

haha, he said 'my parents are gonna be so pissed.' :lol: What the hell happened there anyway? He overboost or something? I've heard that 2g eclipses aint all that reliable, and the tranny issues are the one thing thats got me scared. But I took a look at the 1g today, and I just couldn't see me in that as a daily driver. It was so bad it got me thinking maybe I should just buy a prelude VTEC. :roll: Thanks for pointing out the celica all-trac. I had never heard of the ST185, I thought they had ended in 1989. The 90-93 GT-4s look like they might suit the bill, I'll have to keep my eye on that one. I was looking for some cool subbies or audis, but I didnt seem to see anything reasonable.

Guest livewire23

ah, that video had me a bit confused, but i think i get it now. Bouncin off the rev limiter... He should be ashamed of himself. :oops: What a dumbass. Anyway, now Im seriously looking at the ST185. I much prefer the body styling of the celicas to the eclipses, and its got the turbo AWD like I wanted. A bit harder to come across parts, but its no fun if you can buy Everything right?

He chucked a rod.

The biggest issue with the 2g eclipse is crankwalk. You can look at the team nabr public board and read their tech articles on the subject. Nabr is probably the best resource on the web for DSM info.

One of their members recently dyno'd 600 hp to the wheels with his 75 shot going, and you can hear it break the tires loose on the dyno.

I have seen the car run low 12's to high 11's at 130mph. He is a GST FWD, and spins drag slicks. Truely an impressive car, if it was just AWD, it would be a low 10 second car for sure.

There is a company that basically puts together a hybrid DSM motor that will put over 400HP to the wheels. I want to say the price for the motor is somewhere around 5 grand. Expensive, but not that bad for a reliable 4 cylinder. I'll see if I can find the website.

Edit: I seriously need to start reading my stuff before I post it.

Guest Damn Cracker

True, but if memory serves, no one has made a big block car with full-time all wheel drive, unfortunatly.

Only Lingenfelter that I'm aware of, although it was a truck ;) AWD is too much worry for me, I thought about a Suby for a beater, but as a performance platform I am just to paranoid about the drivetrain, so I will be in the dark for awhile on that matter.