HybridZ

Need some advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Need some info here on some good Turbo books or articals online! I really like turbos and wanted to know much more about them! I already have the book Maxium Boost so please don't say get that one :lol: Any info or links or anything would be awesome :wink:

Thanks All

Russell

It sounds like you have the primary reference already. For supplemental stuff, although it's dated, try "Turbochargers" by Hugh McInnes. After absorbing that, ask questions - this forum is an excellent resource. Just don't go over to clubsi.com or some rice place like that ;)

Yes rice sucks.

I agree with the Maximum Boost Rec. It is a good resource manual' date=' although I think Corky can be a touch conservative.

I told his protoge' I was running about 18 psi and he about stroked out. :-D[/quote']

That reminds me of the head builder who installed my turbo cam. He was dead sure Shane was going to blow his motor to pieces when I told him Shane was running 20+ psi on a stock motor. He was cautioning me to NEVER run more than 12 psi, intercooled or not...

:D:-D

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Maximum Boost is a really good book! I was reading in Turbo Magazine about Garretts new GT40-R turbo and that kinda rekindled my spirits :lol: But I'm a Z guy all the way!!! 8) Still building up the budget for my turbo build-up! I think I have the book Turbochargers, but I can't remember :?: I just like reading about them for some reason! Ok enough rambling on. If I have any new questions I'll be sure to ask!

Thanks Everyone

Russell

I got one better. I have 240 9mm rods in my engine. I polished them, had them shotpeened, bushed for floaters, and had the oil holes drilled per the How to hotrod a nissan book. Good for 600 hp according to most sources.

My machinist put in ARP rodbolts and told me I should be good to about 5 psi. This from someone who had supposedly built nissan racing engines.

I was like OK. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Lockjaw, kinda makes ya wander where these guys got the training from :lol::lol: As long as your not running insane boost then your internals should be fine! Not saying 15psi of boost is insane but I wouldn't just slap a turbo on there and boost on up there without engine internal mods! I always thought it was about RPM's! But I'm no expert by far!

Russell

Yeah RPMS are what kills one.

The reason I used this guy is because he said he used to build nissan racing engines, and I have to say, his machine work was nice. I have never seen cylinders honed out like mine were. He also liked my polish job on the rods.

Really though I just think over the last 4 or 5 years, we have seen people really push the envelope on what a stock engine can handle, and with engine management improving, it is easy to make alot of power on a stock engine.

I guess it just kind of killed me to have a race engine builder tell me my prepped rods could handle less boost then unprepped ones in a stock engine. Stock boost is more then 5 psi.

Guest JAMIE T

LOL, that is why I let the machinests machine the stuff, I and I put it together. A few local "race" engine builders can handle the demands. But, most still don't understand Boost. I use these pages of enormous wealths of information to guide my Nissan build-up, I'll just let the machinists do his part.