HybridZ

1985 L98 350 Small-Block

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Gotta, again thank all those folks who link me this site! THANKS.

I mentioned at this subject at zcar.com and several folks suggested this site. Last week I purchased 73 240z (http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/240z1(3).jpg) and now I will soon have the option of picking up a used L98 out of a 85 Corvette. I don’t plan on doing this conversion until all the bodywork is complete and I have a transmission. I don’t have much experience in buying engines, and was curious on how much I should offer this fella? The engine is currently in the 85 Vet and has 100,000 (approximate) miles.

Any inspirational pictures of 240z with the L98 installed would be appreciated!

Guest 1320the260

don't offer any more than 200-250. older 350s are a dime a dozen. but good motors none the less. if its complete with wiriing harness and all fuel injection stuff and he throws in the stock fuel pump i'd offer him maybe up to 350 for it... my friend was selling a LT1 and T56 but it was sold already to a guy with a Z and a 350 in it hehe.

1320 is right. My motor is rated at 230 stock, maybe I have 250 with my minor mods. The torque is high though at 300 ft/pounds. Not a high reving motor either, 4500-5000 tops.

If I had it to do over again I'd go LT1. More power, aluminum heads, tune it with your laptop.

The tpi looks alot sexier though. :wink:

Dan's car is a great work in progress...at least it runs :D I can't say the same for mine yet...at least not with a V8 :cry:

I paid $650 for a good running V8 from a 70's Camaro in a Chevy wrecking yard--this came with a bellhousing and flywheel. Some say I paid too much, but it was a newly rebuilt motor and was complete in every sense of the word...took me all day to rip the smog stuff off.

Davy

Have to agree with Dan. IMO the TPI set ups look great. Too bad people complain about the limited flow capability compared to an LT1 set up.

Probably the only set up that I think looks better than a TPI is either a simple 4 barrel with a big arse Moroso air cleaner or an inline 6 with triple webers. The LT1 intake does have a nice, clean look. The LS1 intake performs well, but is so busy and cluttered looking that I find it totally unimpressive.

Complete TPI setups still bring $500 on eBay. Complete means EVERYTHING,however. Get the computer, harness, aircleaner assembly with MAF, manifolds, y-pipe. Base your expense on all that other stuff. The Corvette tube manifolds MIGHT be adaptable to a Z as well. A complete running L98 with all of the accessories is worth at least $500 and 100k on a FI motor is nothing. A decent running carbed 350 bring $350 easy. Just be sure and replace the timing chain. A late 86 aluminum head roller cammed motor would be more desireable, but for $500 or less, the L989 would be an smokin' deal IMO.

Make sure you get the VATS box as well. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes and is buried in the dash. And get the key. Measure the resistance of the pellet and buy a resistor of the same value (or group a few together like I did to get the same ohms). If you can't get the key there are only about 16 different values and the JTR tpi/tbi book has the list. Just try them one at a time until the injectors fire. If you don't want to buy the book just let me know and I'll look it up for you.