HybridZ

How to ID LS1 variants...help!

OK, I answered a classified ad "5.4 L chevy for sale". The voice at the other end says its a 2001 chevy v8 with less than 25,000 miles connected to a computer controled automatic transmission, and that the engine has a "back sump aluminum pan." He's verrry vague about what model chevrolet it came out of. The price is "right" if it's an 5.4 l LS1. I understand that "LS1" variants include 4. (something) liter truck, a 5.4 L Truck, and a 6.0 L truck. Lacking a VIN or engine #, what can I check in the field to verify that its a 2001 and not the small 4.(?) liter version. The price is so low, I suspect the worst.....but I'm going to look Sunday afternoon.

gw

Brad D is correct. The trucks use an iron block. They also have a deeper pan which cannot be used and a taller intake which may not fit under the hood.

Technically, the LS1 is the aluminum 5.7liter. All GenIII chevy V8s use similar dimensions and common, interchangeable parts.

I thought I had heard that some of the smaller trucks got an alum block, that could very well be wrong. I know the 6.0L are definately iron block, those are the ones most often used for the big strokers you hear about.

The truck engines should be called Vortec, even though they are basically an "LS1." Might want to try one of the LS1 sites to get some more info/opinions, just to make sure, if its important to you.