HybridZ

Any brakes i could find in a junk yard?

Guest vodkaboy

Guest vodkaboy

Well, i looked at the brakes on the Z today... TINY little buggers, especially compared to my boat, the '71 T-Bird, which has enormous vented Rotors up front. I want a bit more stoping power on the Z right now, but i am also a bit strapped for cash, so i want to know if there are any popular brake swaps from other junkyard cars? Also, how hard is it to get disc brakes in the rear?

the Z is a '77 280Z bone stock...

also wondering if there is any way to change to 5 Lug hubs?

Brake swaps and lug changes are among the most discussed and easily researched topics on this forum. I am using 280zx calipers and 4 lug z31 rotors on the front of my car, and I am fabricating a bracket to mount Maxima calipers and 280zx rotors on the rear. I have a '78Z. So, do some searches, and read up - there are MANY options.

Probably the cheapest upgrade is some high performance pads on a properly set up stock brakes.

I think Terry Oxendale (spelling?) had the cheapest JY option, which I think SleeperZ has just described. The only real draw back to that option is you need to drill out the threads on the caliper mounting holes since you will use the threads on the 280 calipers. Makes it kinda hard to convert to a different set up later on.

Another option is getting the right year of Toyota 4x4 calipers. These calipers bolt on and use the stock, solid rotor. Since the rotor is still unvented, many people don't consider this much of an "upgrade". The good thing is I have seen used, functional calipers for as low as $85.

You can also use the Toyota 4x4 caliper with a vented rotor, but you will need a different year of caliper and some wheel spacers made. This will give you a solid, albeit heavy, front set up. Do a search, many people sell this in kit form. Also this option was described in detail in a recent thread.