HybridZ

LT1 update

Lt1 swap is almost done. I built 1/2 of the exhaust this weekend. All I need now is to buy a radiator and Program my ECM. I was looking into LT1edit but I found out that Lt1edit has problems running the Corvette ecm Without the CCM. Looks like I will have to buy the Tunercat now. A few more weeks.

Does anyone in the Bay Area have Tunercat?

Mike

Hell yes I have Tunercat, I wont touch LT1 Edit with a 10 foot pole. Not only based on price, but being forced to run the software 100% in Winblows. I'm a sys admin and I would not put my life support system on Windows anytime soon, DOS I would trust much more so, Unix more so than that.

So, for the sake of running my near 200 if not over 200 flashes, and never wanting to send my PCM in, I use DOS and only DOS - although Tunercat now has a Windows flash utility as well. My current laptop is too slow for me to risk trying it, but I will someday (several reads before any writes). The advantage to being in Windows is the ability to avoid reboots while on the dyno.

I have used Tunercat on 3 different laptops in my car and never had a problem.

80LT1, I hate exhaust shop jobs. They want to do it fast and they use a tubing bender to make it. I like mandrel bends, This is why I am building it myself. I am running 21/2 exh from the 2100 headers into one 3" pipe out the back, I bought the mandrel bends from Summit.

Mudge Where do you live in the Bay Area? Do you think that we could try to flash the Corvette ecm?

Mike

I live in 94080 http://maps.lycos.com

However I do not have a Corvette definition file, if you can give me the PN on the PCM I can check to see if they are actually the same, but since the Vette has a master computer I do not believe they have the same memory allocations/spaces. If it is like Tunercat says, that I will need a new PCM file, I can get it for $20 and would be glad to flash it.

I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

Bendable tubing like wrinkle wall? Its a nitpick but its not as good as mandrel, why did you buy the car and throw an LT1 in it if you weren't ready for "alot of work" right? You are doing alot of work! How many people wont even change thier spark plugs, for those that even know WTH they are.

Guest Anonymous

Crush bends and Mandrel Bends.

A crush bend is exactly that, and its on all OEM exhaust systems and everything midas etc would do....

Heres some better analogies

take a emtpy aluminum soda can, bend it in the middle so the top lip touches the bottom lip in one spot... you will notice how the can crinkles in and would pinch off the airflow...

A mandrel bend.....think of building the frame in a house... You have two 45 degree cut 2x4's and you want to make a 90 degree corner. They fit onto each other like an L and there is no restriction in size on the bend.

I have heard mandrel bent exhaust flows the same as a crush bent exhaust in 1/2 in bigger.

So a 3" crush bent system flows as good as a 2.5" mandrel bend system.

Mandrel bends are FAR superior and I wouldn't even think of spending money and time on an upgraded exhaust that uses crush bends...

hope that clears a bit up

A crush bend is exactly that' date=' and its on all OEM exhaust systems and everything midas etc would do.... [/quote']

Long ago maybe, but not on my 94 car :)

Think of the water (condensation, CAT output) that would collect in those little grooves and the damage that would do over time.

Thanks for making it clear, If you look in the summit mag you will find diff shape mandrel exh pipes. All I did is if I had to make a turn I would Cut a section of Mandrel out and then weld it in. I also used a mandrel bend where the header collector is. It is alot of work but the LT1 swap is alot of work also. I just want to do it right.

Fuel system

I used a small pump to pump fuel into a Surge tank. I made the 4 port surge tank out of aluminum and it holds about 16 oz of fuel. I am using the Walbro 255LPH HP #GSL 392 fuel pump for the motor.

I am also running 6an line from the tank to the engine.

Congrats MAS280!

I found some good Web sites with technical info about LT1Edit, but I don't think it's worth it unless you are into assembly programming and know how to h4x0r Motorola chips(or whatever specific chip it uses). It sounds like that other proggy is the way to go. I think what that other person said was right. You can't depend on Windows for critical timing apps like that. Unless it's NT or W2K maybe.

Is anyone watching Court TV? There is a murder trial going on involving two teens that got killed during a drag race in San Diego. I can't believe they're trying them for murder. It was obviously an accident. It should be manslaughter, not murder. The connection is that both of the drag racers involved used to race fixed up Z-cars with each other. The car that hit the teen's car was a '70s Barracuda though.

Hey MAS280! How much will you sell me the car for when you're finished breaking it in?

Win2k is VERY stable for me, but I still would put my life support on DOS before Windoze. Problem with DOS is if something crashes it wont restart itself, like it could on Nix or a properly working Win2k box (provided it doesn't BSOD). So if all systems are go, DOS should never lock up doing a flash :)

If there is any hiccup in programing, you have 400ms to fix it! So turn off screensavers/powersaving stuff.