HybridZ

Holes in my frame rails

Guest toyotasupra17

Guest toyotasupra17

Ok more work than i planned on. i have rust and some holes in my frame. Now i was wondering if i should try and fix it or could i have someone make me a whole new frame. Or should i just buy a frame from a used z? well i bought the 1978 280 a week ago from my unkle for 150.00 he was selling for 750.00 but hes my unkle so i got a deal I THINK........anyways i will try and post pics this weekend im going to tear down the car to the frame and start there. i dont know anyplace that could help me go about doing this or fix it....If anyone has a frame that will fit the 1978 280z thats in good condition i will buy to save time and money. the car runs mint it only needs a new clutch and it has about 130k on her. its just the cancer thats scaring me HELP!!! :( if anyone has any tips or pointers please inform me i dont want to get into something that i cant finish. I had big plans for some nice custom body work but now i know what my time and money is going to be concentrated on unfortinatly

Keep in mind that the Z is a unibody car. It does not have a Chassis per se.(U will be hard pressed to find used frame rails)

Many have made their own frame rails and made them the full length, connecting the front and rear sub frames. Or try this:

http://www.datsunzparts.com/Summary.htm

Look on my site for pictures of subframe connectors, or better yet, look at Pete Paraska's site)

Tim

Guest toyotasupra17

hey thanks for the info. i dont know if id be able to do this work to my car alone id rather pay to have it done if u know anyplace that would do the work it would be much apreciated

Don't know anyone who could do it for you, but if you look around at some of the welding/fab shops or auto customizing places, and ask around. Either way, you'll likely have to fork out some capital to have it done!! :shock::shock:

If I were to charge someone to do what I did to my car, it would be in the 3 figure range!! Remember, you will have to pull out the carpetting, all the rubber undercoating etc.....it's a lot of work....not difficult, but very time consuming.

Tim

Guest toyotasupra17

ok i saw the info on his page but i guess im stupid or something cause none of that makes sence to me like i dont even know where to begin...i dont know what im supposed to do...even if i had all the tools and materials which i dont i wouldnt be able to do it cause i dont have the general knowledge anyways im going to pay to have it done i just have to find someone or someplace to do it.....cause if i did it i would be driving along with a smile on my face windows down in a nice summer day then all of a suddon i start to hear noises then my car falls apart and i die just cause i have bad luck..... :-D lol

You were talking big the other day about some pretty wild modifications. The metal work involved in those modifications is way more difficult than what it takes to replace the frame rails. If the frame rails scare you don't even think about customizing the body.

O.K. with that said it is time for you to map out a plan and establish a budget. Whatever you think you are going to spend just double that and that will be more realistic. Think about time frames because if you are going to tear the car down this will be a long process. Just go into this process with your eyes wide open and you should be fine.

Whatever you think you are going to spend just double that

And however much time you think it will take, multiply by 10 if you are doing everything yourself :-D

I am doing all frame and body rust repair myself, and I like doing it, don't get me wrong. But if your just starting into it, like I was last year, there is a lot to learn.

Have fun

Guest toyotasupra17

the bodywork that i had planned on doing would have been ok i just dont know if the guys who were going to do it would try and tackle pretty much replacing all my rails....i have seen them do alot of nice custom bodywork and i used to be a body man myself only for a year but i have never done anything like this before......theres alot of cutting and i want to make sure its safe no weak points thats my main concern.....even if i had all my parts and tool this whole frame thing isnt something i could do in a week is it? i would attempt to do it if i had someone there who knew more about it than i do which that would be anyone lol where do u guys get those car stands? i would love to have one probably makes life much easier...but i do thank all of you for your info and help.......also everytime i try to post it say invalid page session..why??

Guest toyotasupra17

Also i dont want to get into something thats going to take a long long time cause its my only vehicle for right now. but theres probably no way around it. i can already tell ill be 100 before its done.

Guest tt350

Are there plans out there for building a rotisserie? Im really goin to need one once I start my project.

I guess no one can ship their rottiserie (can you take it apart?)

Thanks

Are there plans out there for building a rotisserie? Im really goin to need one once I start my project.

I guess no one can ship their rottiserie (can you take it apart?)

Thanks

I just threw mine out. It was big stuff trash day! so I left it on the curb....took up too much room!

Tim

Guest tt350

WHAT? You just THREW it out! Maaaaaaaaan...........

Oh well, I guess this must have been years ago, so theres no real reason to be mad :D

Guest toyotasupra17

this is really frustrating me i cant post it say some messeage invalid session or something some one help i have serioulsy tried to post like 45 times it wont let me