HybridZ

T56 or not?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My JTR book says go with the T56 on a V8 upgrade,

Im getting there slowly, I called to junk yards today one sad 6,000$ the other said they had one on the lot for 1200$.

Ok please help, Im not that up on this stuff you guys keep talking way over my head....

But will I regreat buying this transmission? Should I grab the 1200$ unit? Will I have problems when I get my V8 and connecting the two and making the clutch work? And will I have a night mare getting the speedometer working?

Im very nervious, I dont know what I would do without this site....

Thanks bunches!

Terry in GR Michigan

Guest gprix1

$6000!!!! Is that thing gold plated? weird.gif

I got mine for $900 from eBay and it is perfect. It included bell-housing, shifter, shift fork, and slave cylinder. The going price for those transmissions is $900-$1200. You want a '94-'97 ('93 will work but has a lower torque rating).

Also, they are fairly bullet-proof which greatly reduces the chances of buying one with problems.

There are usually 4-5 on eBay at any given time. Right now I could only find one and it needs a rebuild but if you could get it for like $500 it would probably be worth it since it would be pretty much like new after a rebuild from a good transmission shop. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1816454412

I think it would be worth it.. I spent way too much and went through way too much hassle to get a T5 that is going to grenade anyway. I wish I had decided go with a T56 before I got my motor built. I was planning on a cheap motor/cheap tranny and wound up with a cheap tranny/nice motor. The one thing I don't like about my car the way it stands now is the tranny. Get the T56!

Guest Frank280z

I agree the t5 will hold up to some abuse but not as much as a tremec or t56. Fortes sells the tremec 3550 for gms @ 1795-. Big jump from $900- ebay t56. Is anybody using the ZF 6 speed. I know that the weight is an issue with these things. Just curious.....

Frank

Guest Anonymous

Ummmm I might be a little late, but here goes.

I have a ZF-6speed in my Vette (90) and it is rated at 450lbs however, the damn thing is EXPENSIVE to work with.

The Flywheel alone is a dual mass and weighs between 40-50lbs and also cost $950 at the dealer!

The Transmission is a noisy lil bugger, but its well worth it for performance.

If you do get either the T56 or the ZF6 they are both good trannys.

They sell an aluminum lightweight flywheel which aids in quicker revs (hence the Dualmass flywheel), however it also makes the ZF "geary noised"

If you can get a ZF6 for cheaper than a T56 go for it because they are just as tough and are probably easier to stuff in a Z than a T56 ( I have to know I have changed my clutch 4 times and it went from a 3 hour job to a 1 hour job)

Grumpy, got any sites with ZF comparisons to T56??

Guest Anonymous

I think it'll fit with a bit of persuasion:

46821.gif

Even if your going to a T56 this will still end up being your friend...

Regards,

Lone

yes, that will be your friend. too much is better than too little here, you dont want to fab up the

mount and do everything, then find out you cant fit it, it will piss you off something crazy.

i use a four speed and out of the blue in my driveway it stuck in third, jack up the car to see

linkage binding in the tunnel, and ive been driving it like that for almost three years now

had to drop it and use my friend, twenty five or so love shots and we cool. the last five were just a reminder to not mess with my emotions.