HybridZ

LS1 is Illegal in CA!!! HELP mE!

Z-Dreamer wrote:

...Just build the damn car and if something changes in the future, then deal with it! In the mean time, HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!!!!!

Mark

I'm with you Mark, I just wanted to share what happened to my friend. A CHP biker pulls him over for speeding - not too excessive or anything either. "Nice mustang...sounds healthy" the cop said. The cop seemed to dig on the car and asked if he could see the engine. My friend said sure, thinking at this point he might get off 'cause this cop's a motorhead too. No such luck, as soon as he opened the hood the cop starts naming parts that weren't street legal that had to go! "This is a great car, really...but it's not built to be street-driven" the cop finished with, or something like that. Speeding ticket and a vehicle inspection bonus, ouch. They made him strip his car of course, what a headache.

Meanwhile, I love driving my Z, and this is certainly a case of the wrong cop and bad luck. Just meaning to clarify the limits of protection a "smog exempt" car gives you in California.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Oh man, I feel bad for all of you that deal with emission checks.... heh out here where I live I could drive a '70 chevelle with a 454 Big block and NO smog stuff, and straight pipes for that matter and not get hastled at all... :twisted: I might as well take advantage of that and do something more than stock in my Baby Z.

:D

- Joey

Brett, your friends story about having to "strip his car" has me puzzled.

First, I assume this was in California, since you mentioed the CHP.

Secondly, you said he had a " 64 Mustang" and had to remove all the HiPo stuff. Well unless there was some sort of vehicle code violation,( no headlites or open headers) how would he have been forced to strip his car? Smog equipment was almost non-existant back in 64 and California smog requirements only go back to 1966! Either I'm missing something or something stinks!

There's NO WAY I'm "poppin" my hood short of a court order!

Mark

As his car was a '64 there wasn't any smog involved, but his his headers had to go, as did his manifold and carb. Not much trouble I suppose...I'll call my old roomie tomorrow to double-check the year to make sure I got it right. It was a 1st generation 'stang and he did have to strip it.

smog on a 71-dont worry about it.i have a smog license in ca and have certified 2 swaps but no obd2 swaps yet.1 of the swaps is my 77z with 81zxt motor.dont bother talking on phone-waste of time.the referee station is only place that cares.both of the cars i did passed on first trip.if i had a 71 i would tell the government about it.to them if its fun its gotta be illegal.some counties in ca dont have a biannual test even-move to the mountains.

OK THIS IS THE DEFINING STUFF. i KNOW THIS IS CORRECT

PRE 66 NO WORRIES

73-66 NO INSPECTION, MUST RETAIN EMISSONS STUFF

74-PRESENT INSPECTED

ENGINE SWAP IN 66 TO PRESENT NON OBD II NOT REQUIRED CONVERTERS

ENGINE SWAP IN 66 TO PRESENT OBDII REQUIRED CONVERTERS PLUS EVERTHING OBDII LIKE WHEEL SENSORS ETC.

THIS INFO IS RIGHT. I CALLED THE REFEREE

ANY WANT A 12.0@119MPH 1971 240Z FOR $9950?

Damn. The price of 94-95 LT1 engines just went up. I don't know where you would install cats on a 240. Also what happens if you install a crate engine? They don't come with any smog equipment?

Now technically a 95 Camaro LT1 was OBDII compliant even though it didn't need to be. Does that mean it requires cats?

cyrus, You aren't really going to sell your car, are you? Just drive it and worry about selling it in the remote chance you ever get stopped by a renegade cop.

One last thing. Seems like once you get a V8 in your car certified, then you are free to install any engine. The typical street cop is sharp enough to know the car has a non-stock engine, but does the certificate give enough detail to tell him the current engine is not the same one it was certified with?

Guest greimann
... Also what happens if you install a crate engine? They don't come with any smog equipment?

One last thing. Seems like once you get a V8 in your car certified' date=' then you are free to install any engine. The typical street cop is sharp enough to know the car has a non-stock engine, but does the certificate give enough detail to tell him the current engine is not the same one it was certified with?[/quote']

Crate motor must be equipped with the gizmos that make it legal for the year you are attempting to certify

The engine certificate is very specific as to what has been certified and if an authority can read and interpret what is listed below, then he can do a roadside inspection.

Additionally, there seems to be a disconnect as to what the referee says about '74 requiring testing and the state's government web site as to the exemption of '74's. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

smoglabel.jpg

I know what your going through i am also doing a LS1 swap but with a 78 280z.

When i talked to the referee he explained to me that all smog equipment and anything that would create the check engine light would have to be installed in the car. Even if the wheel sensors were OBDII specific.

I got a GM service manual and traced what systems were OBDII specific. What i found was this.

All Camero Equipment

Air pump

Air Silinoid

OBDII Cats (new)

All O2 sensors (4)

Gas tank -including everything that came with it

Original fuel level float. If not hooked up to the computer will throw a code

Evap Canister

Evap Canister control valve

Computer fan control-(3 fan)will throw code if not connected

VSS Signal

Fuel tank pressure signal

Pretty much every wire should be connected from your PCM or you will have your malfunction indicator light turn on. Exeption of the HVAC system. Wheel sensors are not required they are for your traction control and are NOT apart of the OBDII system!!!

I pretty much printed out all the pages with the wire systems and are going to be submitted when i go to BAR registration.

let me know if you need more info!!

This is directly out of the manual.....dont look so sad ok

just more info for you. I am just about done with my swap.

*=important information.

Circuit Description

The speed sensors used on the front of this vehicle are multiple pole and the rear uses a single pole magnetic pickup. This sensor produces an AC signal that the EBTCM uses the frequency from to calculate the wheel speed.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right rear wheel speeds of greater than 6km/h (3.75 mph) at a vehicle speed of less than 100Km/h (62 mph) on vehicles equipped with TCS.

The EBCM/EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right front wheel speeds of greater than 10Km/h (6.25 mph) at a vehicle speed of less than 100Km/h (62 mph).

The EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right rear wheel speeds of greater than 6 % of the vehicle speed at greater than 100 km/h (62 mph) on vehicles equipped with TCS.

The EBCM/EBTCM detects a deviation between the left and right front wheel speeds of greater than 4 km/h plus 6 % of the vehicle speed at greater than 100 km/h (62 mph).

This DTC will set when the EBCM/EBTCM cannot specifically identify which wheel speed sensor is causing the malfunction. If the EBCM/EBTCM can identify the specific wheel speed sensor causing the malfunction, DTC C0245 will become a history DTC, and the DTC associated with the sensor (DTC C0036, DTC C0041, DTC C0046, DTC C0051, or DTC C0056) will be set concurrent with DTC C0245.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

A malfunction DTC stores.

The ABS/TCS disables.

The amber ABS/TCS indicator(s) turn on. *****

The Red BRAKE Warning indicator turn on. *****

This does NOT turn on the MIL Light so not OBDII i found this out before i started the swap so i think we are ok. I got tons of this stuff. If you want the service manual let me know i can make it avalible to you. or get it on ebay.