HybridZ

Is it a 383 stroker?

Guest Anonymous

You can't unless you want to pull the crank out. Or you can pull the pan off. If it as the pan rails notched to clear the rods its a 383.

One way you could tell depending on the type of crank used is: Look for a 400 style balancer and flywheel. The 400 crank requires external balancing where the 350 was internally balanced. Most 383 will have the externally balanced crank but there are some 383 crank that are internally balanced so if you have the 350 style balancer and flywheel there is still a chance it is a 383. If you don't mind taking it apart you could measure the piston stroke and compare it to a 400. Just a few thoughts, someone else may have a better idea though.

Guest JAMIE T

Actually, the easiest way is to look at the damper and flex plat to see if it is EXTERNALLY balanced. There will be counter weights on them if it is a 3.75" stroke. If it has a stock 350 stroke, then It will be internally balanced, and not have any obvious counter weights. It's possible some one would have had the 3.75" crank internally balanced, BUT DON'T COUNT ON IT! Just ask a few guys(like MIkelly) how much of a PITA it is to get one internally balanced without spending big bucks on a forged crank.

Guest Thurem

Guess you gotta find a way to fairly accurately measure the stroke. Prolly have to go thru the sparkplug hole. Coathanger city here we come. remember the stroke on a 350 is 3.48" on a 383 it's 3.75" . I say go for it, just make sure you don't leave any debris in the cylinder.

Thure

I checked the flywheel and it has a counter-weight on one side. I guess that's good. The flywheel has 168 teeth, I guess that's bad according to JTR. It has center-bolt valve covers, an aluminum intake, and a serpentine belt with alt, pwr strng, A/C still attached. Anyone know who I can call to have the casting number checked?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

If it has a weight on the flywheel then it is a 383. It wouldn't hurt to put a new rear main seal and a new front transmission seal in before you put it in the car.